Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desmoface

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
Hey everyone,

I'm researching doing a clean install on my 08 imac as it sometimes acts a little funky. From my research, it appears to be something that I should be able to handle. My question is, when I erase my "Macintosh HD," prior to the install, should I select the first listing (Q Media) or the second listing (Macintosh HD)?

system_zps232980fd.png

Is the first listing where Bootcamp lives? I'd kind of like to keep bootcamp. If I do a clean install, does it re-install bootcamp? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve

desmoface

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
Hiya Macman, thanks for the reply and the info. I'll be installing 10.5.8 (Leopard) as I've never updated and those are the 2 discs that came with my imac. I was under the impression that all I had to do was boot my imac using the installation disc, then use disk uitility to erase my hard drive, do a disc repair, and then install.

Would you erase the Q Media, or the Macintosh HD? Everything I've read/saw on youtube said to use the top/first one (Q Media). When I do the install, will it install bootcamp? Thanks again, I'm a newbie to this and don't want any suprises, LOL.

Steve

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Hiya Macman, thanks for the reply and the info. I'll be installing 10.5.8 (Leopard) as I've never updated and those are the 2 discs that came with my imac. I was under the impression that all I had to do was boot my imac using the installation disc, then use disk uitility to erase my hard drive, do a disc repair, and then install.

Would you erase the Q Media, or the Macintosh HD? Everything I've read/saw on youtube said to use the top/first one (Q Media). When I do the install, will it install bootcamp? Thanks again, I'm a newbie to this and don't want any suprises, LOL.

Steve

If you are using the original media, then yes, boot with the disk in the drive, hold down option to access Disk Utility erase Macintosh hdd, and re-install OSX.

You will have to re-do the Bootcamp though, as it will go when you erase the HDD. Assuming you have a copy of Windows, that shouldn't be too hard if a little time consuming.

As far as the other drive goes, you can erase / re-format it after instilling OSX by using Disk Utility once you are up and running. In all cases, make sure you have a current Time Machine backup of all your files and data prior to starting.

The Macintosh HDD is where OSX and the Bootcamped Windows installation reside, so if you do not have Windows media, you WILL lose the ability to boot into Windows until you reinstall it...They are separate and require 2 installations.

Last edited:

desmoface

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
Hi Macman, thanks again for the valuable data, I sure appreciate. So, it sounds like I should erase and install on "Macintosh HD," and not "Q Media"? When I saw online videos of installs, they always selected the uppermost top option, which in my case would be "Q Media." I just want to ask twice and click once, LOL..

Thanks again, your advice is invaluable.

Steve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.