Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StEvE1961

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Hi,

I'm about to get my first iPhone, an iPhone 4S, and I'm interested to learn the ground rules for making optimal use of my 3G data plan.

Could anyone please clarify what I need to do, to ensure that my 3G is only being drawn upon when I am not at work, or at home, where I have wi fi access. From what I've read, the 4S doesn't have an option to disable 3G, which surprises me somewhat.

Thank you.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If you configure the phone at home and work to join the network it will automatically join as you enter the wifi coverage area for both without you having to do anything. You will be able to tell is has joined by seeing the wifi radar logo at the top left of the screen. While on wifi the phone will use wifi for data and not your 3G data.

StEvE1961

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
If you configure the phone at home and work to join the network it will automatically join as you enter the wifi coverage area for both without you having to do anything. You will be able to tell is has joined by seeing the wifi radar logo at the top left of the screen. While on wifi the phone will use wifi for data and not your 3G data.

Thanks a lot for the clarification Weaselboy. Much appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.