Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeffrey49

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2012
I have a Imac running 10.5.8. I have forgotten the admin password which won't let me log in as admin or install or download any software.

Do I have to reset it using the "Imac OX X Install" disk? I tried that, but when I insert the disc, restart the Imac, and press C at the reboot I get a "?" mark.

Also I have like 10 other accounts on here also. Does it matter what account I use when I do this?

Thanks! :confused:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yes, you will need to boot from the install DVD to reset the password. Holding down the C key while booting should do it. With the system running can inserrt the DVD and access in in the Finder to see if the DVD works?

jeffrey49

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2012
I still get a question mark when it boots? I hope I'm using the correct install disc? I'm still lost. Please help!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I still get a question mark when it boots? I hope I'm using the correct install disc? I'm still lost. Please help!

Usually, even is you use the wrong disk you will get a message on the screen telling you that. Can you login to one of the non-admin accounts then pop the disk in and check if you can see the disk in the Finder?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.