Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:02 PM   #26
kevinpdoyle
macrumors member

Wowzer that sounds a bit steep.
kevinpdoyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:03 PM   #27
Razeus
macrumors 68040

This would be better if it was clearer what's going to happen to 3rd party clients in the future.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:04 PM   #28
kbmb
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappaknight View Post
Does syncing actually work? I've never gotten the beta to successfully sync with the iOS counter part on iCloud or Tweet Marker. It honestly is the most annoying thing about using Twitter. If Twitter can release a client that fixes that like how Tweetie was supposed to, then I'd support them blocking out 3rd party clients.
Didn't work in the beta because it wasn't in the MAS.

Works perfectly now.

-Kevin
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:04 PM   #29
0xyMoron
macrumors 6502

If you already have the ipad version then you don't need this, 20$ is too much for an app, i love Tweetbot on my ipad but i'm fine browsing my twitter through a browser on my computer.
0xyMoron is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:08 PM   #30
bagelche
macrumors 6502

The token issue raises a question for me. I'm assuming that this app, like pretty much every other since the dawn of time will appear on torrent sites around the globe (or old warez BBSes). Do those pirated copies tick down the allowable tokens?

If so, this is a real bummer for the folks at Tapbots. Of course they'll get pirated, but it'll then actually limit how many copies they can sell. That would doubly sucky.
bagelche is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:09 PM   #31
NAG
macrumors 68030

FYI, all the people who used the beta and are not going to buy it, Tapbots asks you to revoke access so they can get the token back.
NAG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:09 PM   #32
chenks
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Didn't work in the beta because it wasn't in the MAS.

Works perfectly now.

-Kevin
i actually can't get the iCloud sync between the app and iphone to work.
i have the OSX app open and sitting at the top of the timeline, open iphone version and it doesn't jump to the top of the timeline.

both mac and iphone version set to icloud sync.
chenks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:09 PM   #33
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xyMoron View Post
If you already have the ipad version then you don't need this, 20$ is too much for an app, i love Tweetbot on my ipad but i'm fine browsing my twitter through a browser on my computer.
Exactly. I'll stick to mobile for Tweetbot.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:10 PM   #34
NAG
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenks View Post
i have the OSX app open and sitting at the top of the timeline, open iphone version and it doesn't jump to the top of the timeline.

Same. iCloud sync works for the filters though. It worked for timeline syncing for a while but stopped a month or so back.

Edit: Discovered it was the iphone version that was not syncing successfully. I fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling Tweetbot for iPhone then turning off iCloud document sync in the settings and turning it back on. I then waiting a few minutes. Deleting and reinstalling the app alone didn't seem to work.

Last edited by NAG; Oct 18, 2012 at 01:57 PM.
NAG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:11 PM   #35
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
This would be better if it was clearer what's going to happen to 3rd party clients in the future.
Unless Twitter has a change of heart, they will die based on economics alone. The reason Twitter has the amount of tokens it does is that it had an alpha before the rules came into effect. Going forward, clients are effectively dead.

I'm going to buy this anyway because to me, Tweetbot is effectively twitter. The day Tweetbot stops working is the day I stop using Twitter.
Cougarcat is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:11 PM   #36
Kurwenal
macrumors Demi-God

I've paid (much) more for apps that I use less. The syncing with my phone and iPad alone is worth the $20, and it is a beautifully engineered app.

As for the future, there are questions around every third party app, given what Twitter is doing, but I'm unwilling to move to the web for this function and Tweetbot on my phone, ipad and, now, Macs is by far the best solution.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:12 PM   #37
kbmb
macrumors 68030

Quote:

Try closing the window on your Mac. Don't close the app....just close the window. Then see if it syncs.

I'm not sure any app will sync if it's open. Meaning it has to be minimized or closed on the iPad/iPhone.

EDIT: Ok nevermind....I just kept the Mac version open and opened the iPad version.....I saw it update first to an older position, and then 10 seconds later update to the current position.

Even if I keep the iPad app open next to me, and scroll on the Mac app.....after about 15 seconds, the iPad app will auto scroll.

-Kevin
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:12 PM   #38
baryon
macrumors 68030

I still have no clue about what this is and what it does…
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:14 PM   #39
rwilliams
macrumors 68030

I spend $20 on nonsense all the time (DVDs, alcohol, crap food, etc.). $20 for a piece of software that I use daily and absolutely love on the Mac, iPhone, and iPad is an easy decision for me.
rwilliams is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:19 PM   #40
Achiever
macrumors 6502

I have no objection to paying $20 for a quality, well developed and supported app. It causes pause, however, to pay $20 for an app which leverage a third-party service when said third-party service has effectively stated it's desire to exterminate these apps. I legitimately question how long the company will be able to survive and actively develop, even at the higher price, if Twitter doesn't give them room to grow with additional tokens (which they have thus far rejected). I hope Twitter changes their narrowed minds as apps like these are a big part of why my use of Twitter has grown.

Last edited by Achiever; Oct 18, 2012 at 03:26 PM.
Achiever is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:19 PM   #41
chenks
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Try closing the window on your Mac. Don't close the app....just close the window. Then see if it syncs.

I'm not sure any app will sync if it's open. Meaning it has to be minimized or closed on the iPad/iPhone.

EDIT: Ok nevermind....I just kept the Mac version open and opened the iPad version.....I saw it update first to an older position, and then 10 seconds later update to the current position.

Even if I keep the iPad app open next to me, and scroll on the Mac app.....after about 15 seconds, the iPad app will auto scroll.

-Kevin
i keep it closed pretty much most of the time.
my iphone is not picking up the current position of the timeline.

in fact, it appears that iphone is overriding the osx app and pushing the timeline back down to a previous position. this suggests that the osx app is not updating icloud with it's current status.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:23 PM   #42
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040

wait so what happens when and if the torrent folks get a hold of this? Does each torrent user that downloads and grants access use up a token?

If so those 100K can go really really fast
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:26 PM   #43
chenks
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjnyc View Post
wait so what happens when and if the torrent folks get a hold of this? Does each torrent user that downloads and grants access use up a token?

If so those 100K can go really really fast
1 user could use up many tokens if they have multiple twitter accounts.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:44 PM   #44
bagelche
macrumors 6502

Quote:
1 user could use up many tokens if they have multiple twitter accounts.
I had posted the same question about torrent copies. I hadn't considered that it was tied to individual twitter accounts, merely to the app. So, if I have 3 twitter accounts, I'm actually using 3 tokens. bugger.
bagelche is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:44 PM   #45
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
The price is a typo, right? That's outrageous! Hell, just go to the website for FREE! Another open tab won't hurt.
No it isn't a typo. As for your reply that is what Twitter wants. They are doing this whole token thing to either force 3rd parties to shut down or to drive them to charging prices their users won't pay so they will go to the site. Where twitter gets your IP etc and can serve up all their ads etc.
charlituna is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:50 PM   #46
SandboxGeneral

It's unfortunate that Twitter is limiting them like this and that they feel they have to increase their price because of it (maybe they really do).

I have the alpha version of Tweetbot for Mac and I don't think I will buy the $20 retail version. I have the alpha, TweetDeck and Yorufukurou. So I think for the time being I will continue to use Yorufukurou on the Mac. But for iOS, it's Tweetbot all the way.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:53 PM   #47
roadbloc
macrumors 604

$20 for a twitter client? Daylight robbery. The website is free.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:58 PM   #48
komodrone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
they have zero incentive once they know that they cant make a penny off of it
zero incentive? how about maintaining the brand name. who is going to ever buy a mac app from Tapbots again if they don't continue support?
komodrone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:00 PM   #49
furqan8421
macrumors member

As others have stated the price is too high for me to feel comfortable paying

I'm sure it's a nice app, but I can already open the app on my iPad or iPhone, one of which I generally have sitting next to me, and see the same information.
furqan8421 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:01 PM   #50
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

For the price it just doesn't seem worth it; unless I'm missing something.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion