Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
OK. I've got a current Mac Mini and I've noticed that whenI move the cursor over any of the icons in the menu bar there is a spinning beach ball. I am unable to select any of those icons. When i move the cursor away, the ball disappears. I've noticed no problems or other strangeness. If I restart the machine, the issue is gone, but will resurface within a day. Very strange. This is a new machine, so I can't compare it prior OS installs.

I've repaired permissions and reset the PRAM or whatever it is without results.

Any ideas?

Platskies

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2012
NSW, Australia
Have you installed any menu extras that use MenuCracker (like iStat menus)? If one of the loaded menu extras hangs, I think it causes the others to hang as well (maybe explaining why mousing around anywhere in that area of the menu bar beachballs).

kranzmonkey

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
I'm having the same issue intermittently on 10.8.2. I do have a handful of external apps on my toolbar but the only ones giving me the beach ball are the defaults - Wifi, Time Machine, Audio, Battery, Date and Time, Account, and Spotlight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.