Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:05 PM   #51
thadoggfather
macrumors 68030

Already did, mines good to go.

Nice ones are out there rare as they may seem. And my own suspicion is there's a higher correlation of good screens with newer built phones moreso than which factory the phones came from. But I have no clue. Probably a bit of that and a bit of luck of the draw.

My volume buttons were also mushy on my previous 5, this one its crisp and firm.

Last edited by thadoggfather; Oct 19, 2012 at 08:13 PM.
thadoggfather is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:16 PM   #52
pooleman
macrumors 65816

Mine flickers. F2 serial number. WTF? Should I return this phone. Dies it warrant a return.
pooleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:17 PM   #53
thadoggfather
macrumors 68030

Only if you believed the quality to be inferior before having that wallpaper confirm the results.

If not, I'd say just carry on. Some people are more perceptive than others.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:43 PM   #54
Ykoutsodendris
macrumors newbie

Had an F2 with really bad interlacing, just had it replaced for a DN about 20 min ago, flawless!
Ykoutsodendris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:20 PM   #55
mcdj
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogs123 View Post
F2 and NO flicker
Same here. Maybe y'all with the flickering live too close to an electrical transformer, or a meth lab.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:47 PM   #56
Apollo 13
macrumors 6502a

didn't see it at first. I downloaded the interlaced image in the OP but then downloaded the solid grey version and saw slight flicker at bottom of screen. I saw the interlacing real bad when I press the setting button while on the image or you can press the HOME button with the grey image loaded in the browser and see it. I'm not even going to bother getting it repaired because I wouldn't had noticed it if it wasn't for this thread. All my apps and games run perfect and didn't see it. Oh I have a F2
Apollo 13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:54 PM   #57
iLukeJoseph
macrumors regular

F2 (launch day phone) and it is just fine.
iLukeJoseph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:57 PM   #58
Jinzen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo 13 View Post
didn't see it at first. I downloaded the interlaced image in the OP but then downloaded the solid grey version and saw slight flicker at bottom of screen. I saw the interlacing real bad when I press the setting button while on the image or you can press the HOME button with the grey image loaded in the browser and see it. I'm not even going to bother getting it repaired because I wouldn't had noticed it if it wasn't for this thread. All my apps and games run perfect and didn't see it. Oh I have a F2
It's still defective. It isn't capable of displaying the image correctly. On normal displays it should show vertical striped black and white lines against grey. On defective screens it just shows a gradient grey that flickers.
Jinzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:03 PM   #59
Apollo 13
macrumors 6502a

I can't produce this with other images I see online. Is this some kind of trickery?
Apollo 13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:14 PM   #60
cababah
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinzen View Post
It's still defective. It isn't capable of displaying the image correctly. On normal displays it should show vertical striped black and white lines against grey. On defective screens it just shows a gradient grey that flickers.
If the only time we see it is during that picture, is it worth returning and possibly getting a phone with a myriad of other problems?

Personally I don't think so but to each his/her own.
cababah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:25 AM   #61
thadoggfather
macrumors 68030

Glad this is getting some attention at least.

Hopefully iPad mini won't be an LCD lottery as well.

Thankfully, I have no plans to sell or move on from my jailbroken iPad3 anytime soon.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:58 AM   #62
lguest
macrumors newbie

Recap on what I have seen from this post and from people who recently got their phones.

Just saw a white F2 build week 41, and there were no vertical lines. I didn't check it with the test image, but it definitely did not have the interlaced lines.

Based on pure observation, I think the early build week F2 phones are fine. I read other posts written by the F2 owners without the flicker, and they seem to have gotten the phone near the launch day.

Then the second batch from F2 seems to have the screen issue. This batch started to roll out around week 37 and it seems to be fading out right now, since there are conflicting reports on the week 40 F2 phones.

There were also phones that flicker from Z5 and DN, but the majority seems to have come from F2.
lguest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:23 AM   #63
6mtg37s
macrumors member

C3 here and no flicker!
6mtg37s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:48 AM   #64
katmeef
macrumors 6502

Waiting a few weeks and will try my hand in the iPhone lottery again.

Nothing like paying over 1000 for a PHONE (unlocked 64gb in Canada) to then have to swap it six or seven times to get a quality unit. Go apple!!

On a side note I had many problems with my rmbp this year, also going through numerous units. I think apple quality control is really slipping over the past year...
katmeef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:58 AM   #65
Sheik Yiboudi
macrumors member

DN, looks good on mine.
Sheik Yiboudi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:10 AM   #66
Jinzen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lguest View Post
Recap on what I have seen from this post and from people who recently got their phones.

Just saw a white F2 build week 41, and there were no vertical lines. I didn't check it with the test image, but it definitely did not have the interlaced lines.

Based on pure observation, I think the early build week F2 phones are fine. I read other posts written by the F2 owners without the flicker, and they seem to have gotten the phone near the launch day.

Then the second batch from F2 seems to have the screen issue. This batch started to roll out around week 37 and it seems to be fading out right now, since there are conflicting reports on the week 40 F2 phones.

There were also phones that flicker from Z5 and DN, but the majority seems to have come from F2.
week 39 F2 here and no flicker. The DN I had had it but didn't check the week.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:23 AM   #67
thadoggfather
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmeef View Post

Nothing like paying over 1000 for a PHONE (unlocked 64gb in Canada) to then have to swap it six or seven times to get a quality unit. Go apple!!

On a side note I had many problems with my rmbp this year, also going through numerous units. I think apple quality control is really slipping over the past year...
Understandable. I couldn't imagine swapping out a retina Mbp multiple times but I'd understand it if you did. For 2300 plus perfection isn't an option.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:52 AM   #68
Jinzen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmeef View Post

It has, it's all a lottery now to discerning customers but the masses don't give a honey badgering $***. Apple products aren't built for us anymore. They're built for the minimum quality to appease the masses of lower expectations.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:59 AM   #69
thadoggfather
macrumors 68030

hopefully all the returns have smacked them in the face a bit.

i'm sure it's still more profitable to do things like they are.

Plus, I had two iPhone 4's with horizontal interlacing/banding. Didn't give off a grainy effect though, it was just really annoying seeing runny lines. And then eventually I got one that didn't have it.

my 4s screen was washed out and piss yellow in comparison to 4, and not as crisp. But I lived with it because I feared getting a worse backup (everything else worked perfect).
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:34 AM   #70
Jinzen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadoggfather View Post
hopefully all the returns have smacked them in the face a bit.

i'm sure it's still more profitable to do things like they are.

Plus, I had two iPhone 4's with horizontal interlacing/banding. Didn't give off a grainy effect though, it was just really annoying seeing runny lines. And then eventually I got one that didn't have it.

my 4s screen was washed out and piss yellow in comparison to 4, and not as crisp. But I lived with it because I feared getting a worse backup (everything else worked perfect).
It's profitable of course. They need refurb units for warranty claims anyway. Apple loses little for returns.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:16 AM   #71
fodawim
macrumors newbie

DN, perfectly fine no interlacing.
fodawim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:15 PM   #72
PHR
macrumors newbie

I have a 32 gb black and a 16 gb white and both start with F2. Got these two on launch day. When I set the OP test image on both phones as the home screen, both appeared as the gradient grey as another poster has mentioned. Both phones didn't exhibit any flickering. Another poster mentioned that we should be getting vertical lines so I just realized that I can get the vertical lines to show by adjusting the test image when I am setting it as the home screen or lock screen (pinching in or out to zoom in or zoom out at the "move and scale" part). With the vertical lines appearing on my home screen for both phones I did not notice any flickering. Not sure if this is the proper way to test as the OP had described.
PHR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:36 PM   #73
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

I just got my phone replaced that had that issue, and I got a perfect phone. No interlacing, and I got even sturdier buttons and on my last phone I had a slight unfinished anodization by the lighting port and the finish on this is perfect... Couldn't be any more happier now

EDIT: i actually see a very slight unfinish of anodization by the black bar on the bottom left... but its whatever i dont really even care it adds character to the phone

Last edited by Bahroo; Oct 20, 2012 at 01:42 PM.
Bahroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:51 PM   #74
Pedro.Shadows
macrumors member

Mine is a C3, i put the image as wallpaper, on the home and lock screen, and the image stays grey with no lines. Only time i see the flicker is when i exit from an app. Do i have a god or a bad screen?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:54 PM   #75
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro.Shadows View Post
Mine is a C3, i put the image as wallpaper, on the home and lock screen, and the image stays grey with no lines. Only time i see the flicker is when i exit from an app. Do i have a god or a bad screen?
The discoloration you see when switching apps is completely normal. That's just the OS trying to find the color for those pixels when you switch..it happens because the vertical lines on the wallpaper are so small (approx 1 pixel wide, so basically 680 lines across the screen going up and down) if it doesn't flicker when you are at the home screen then your screen is perfectly normal
Bahroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone