Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shmonkus

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
United Kingdom
So, I tried selling my old ipad on eBay, and within a day someone under the eBay name "zoemars479" showed intent to buy, but delayed the purchase, for whatever reason. It took me to emailing them to hurry up, in response they asked me to send them a PayPal invoice. This struck me as odd as they only needed to click the pay button within eBay.

Anyway, this morning I received an email supposedly from PayPal asking to provide a tracking number and ship the item to the following address:

Martins Chidi,
40 Nolan Street,
Apple Junction,
Amuwo-Odofin,
Lagos State
Nigeria

This is despite receiving no money through PayPal.

So PayPal were reported, as was eBay. The police were informed, and I still have the ipad, in case anything comes of it.

Lesson learned, but the eBay name and delivery address are here in case anyone should encounter the same.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You're kidding right? You are questioning what went wrong when you tried to chase money down from someone in Nigeria? Not saying all people in Nigeria are bad but really now.

You have the iPad and no cash. You didn't ship it and won't without funds. Why call the police? That seems silly. You need to sort this out so you can sell to the second highest bidder. State you want immediate payment and don't offer out of country sales in this case.

shmonkus

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
United Kingdom
You're kidding right? You are questioning what went wrong when you tried to chase money down from someone in Nigeria? Not saying all people in Nigeria are bad but really now.

You have the iPad and no cash. You didn't ship it and won't without funds. Why call the police? That seems silly. You need to sort this out so you can sell to the second highest bidder. State you want immediate payment and don't offer out of country sales in this case.

I involved the police in case the situation escalates. I know the police won't be able to do anything, but I want them aware in case something comes of it. Unfortunately as it was a Buy It Now auction, there was nobody else to offer it to, so it's not really an issue. I didnt know the buyer was Nigerian (as the ebay seller's address appeared as residing in Oxford, it was only when I got the Paypal notice that the sender wanted it to go there, and I had UK and Europe set as the delivery locations accepted anyway).

Fortunately I found someone at work who wants to buy it so I'm happy :)

I understand it would have stood out like a sore thumb to most people, but I've seen enough people on MR with Ebay issues so just wanted to put it on here in the hope that it may help someone :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
^ I can understand that but luckily you have the item and that is that.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
The police will not even care!

This is a simple scam. No funds will show up in your PayPal account without you paying money to have them released.

If you ship your iPad you are screwed.

Report it to eBay and PayPal so eBay can shut his account down. He likely does not even have a PayPal account and all that official PayPal crap you got in the email showing the payment is ALL FAKE!

This is a OLD SCAM!

billinaz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
Goodyear AZ.... for now.
I involved the police in case the situation escalates. I know the police won't be able to do anything, but I want them aware in case something comes of it. Unfortunately as it was a Buy It Now auction, there was nobody else to offer it to, so it's not really an issue. I didnt know the buyer was Nigerian (as the ebay seller's address appeared as residing in Oxford, it was only when I got the Paypal notice that the sender wanted it to go there, and I had UK and Europe set as the delivery locations accepted anyway).

Fortunately I found someone at work who wants to buy it so I'm happy :)

I understand it would have stood out like a sore thumb to most people, but I've seen enough people on MR with Ebay issues so just wanted to put it on here in the hope that it may help someone :)

Yea, I love when people say "I just wanted you to be aware". Truth is nobody cares and its forgotten the second you turn around or hang up. Nothing is documented, the cops laugh when people think they are starting something that can be tracked, etc.....

People, if a crime does not happen then dont bother the police with your silly little tad of info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.