Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
I have a cousin in the US, can she buy an unlocked iphone 5 for me and not get a plan, bring it to me in Greece and have it work fine with our carriers? If so, how much are they?
Thanks!

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
I have a cousin in the US, can she buy an unlocked iphone 5 for me and not get a plan, bring it to me in Greece and have it work fine with our carriers? If so, how much are they?
Thanks!

Lots of conflicting information going around as to whether you can buy an unlocked iPhone 5 off contract here or not. I guess the best answer is "maybe". Just gotta go into VZW/ATT/Apple/etc stores and ask if they're willing to do it.

An unlocked iPhone5 should work fine in Greece (I'm assuming Greece has GSM carriers). 3G should work fine, but there's many different bands of LTE. You'll have to find out what bands your carrier uses and get the appropriate phone. Here's a list of the iPhone 5 models and what LTE bands they support: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
Lots of conflicting information going around as to whether you can buy an unlocked iPhone 5 off contract here or not. I guess the best answer is "maybe". Just gotta go into VZW/ATT/Apple/etc stores and ask if they're willing to do it.

An unlocked iPhone5 should work fine in Greece (I'm assuming Greece has GSM carriers). 3G should work fine, but there's many different bands of LTE. You'll have to find out what bands your carrier uses and get the appropriate phone. Here's a list of the iPhone 5 models and what LTE bands they support: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Thanks for that! I guess I have to tell her to ask at an Apple store. No LTE in Greece for now, but there is talk of 4G trials

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Apple will no longer sell iPhones device-only (they did until last week). This is to deter scalpers and export to market that currently do not sell the iPhone.

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
Apple will no longer sell iPhones device-only (they did until last week). This is to deter scalpers and export to market that currently do not sell the iPhone.

How sure are you about that. I have 2 receipts from OCT 17th showing full price device only purchase. Would you like to put some sort of wager down on this information that apple is no longer selling iphones device only.

google

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
They cannot stop a customer from paying full price if they do not want to extend their contract.

Newbie MacUser

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2012
Thanks!

Hey I just purchased my iPhone 5 16GB White via the apple reservation system online (begins at 10pm-4am nightly). I had just had an iPhone 4S and still had 12 months left on my contract. The apple website does not let you purchase it at the unsubsidized price but I was able to purchase it at $449 + tax (early 2-year upgrade price) and I went into the store. All you have to do is tell them you want to pay the unsubsidized price and you will have to return the phone while you are in the store and they will let you repurchase it at the $649 + tax. However, one caveat with this is that the original $449 + tax I paid via the online reservation system will take 3-4 business days to drop off (so you will be down about $1200 for about 3-4 days, before the $449 + tax is refunded)

Afterwards all you have to do is go to the following link and submit the required information to AT&T (or Verizon/Spirint):
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

They will send you an email asking you to fax in a copy of the purchase receipt from apple and write down the IMEI # and unlock request # on it.

Within 2 hours I recieved another email saying my unlock request was approved and listed a series of steps to follow to unlock my phone (reset your iphone in itunes) and then a message saying your iPhone has been unlocked with appear within itunes.

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
Hey I just purchased my iPhone 5 16GB White via the apple reservation system online (begins at 10pm-4am nightly). I had just had an iPhone 4S and still had 12 months left on my contract. The apple website does not let you purchase it at the unsubsidized price but I was able to purchase it at $449 + tax (early 2-year upgrade price) and I went into the store. All you have to do is tell them you want to pay the unsubsidized price and you will have to return the phone while you are in the store and they will let you repurchase it at the $649 + tax. However, one caveat with this is that the original $449 + tax I paid via the online reservation system will take 3-4 business days to drop off (so you will be down about $1200 for about 3-4 days, before the $449 + tax is refunded)

Afterwards all you have to do is go to the following link and submit the required information to AT&T (or Verizon/Spirint):
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

They will send you an email asking you to fax in a copy of the purchase receipt from apple and write down the IMEI # and unlock request # on it.

Within 2 hours I recieved another email saying my unlock request was approved and listed a series of steps to follow to unlock my phone (reset your iphone in itunes) and then a message saying your iPhone has been unlocked with appear within itunes.

Very interesting. A few questions:
1. Did you confirm that AT&T hasn't extended your contract date? (I'd check your online profile and make sure that nowhere in the process was it extended another 2 years)
2. How much of a headache did they give you about returning/rebuying at full price?

I'm tempted to try this out...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.