Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
So I'll be making the transition from PC to iMac once the new ones are released and figured I'd make this thread now to get an idea of how this is going to be done.

Is it a simple task of a fresh iTunes install on my Mac, and dragging and dropping the "iTunes" folder from my Windows machine into that directory? Will this transfer over my library setup with ratings, playlists and album art?

Also if I manage to get the album art, ratings and playlists transferred over how would I got about pointing iTunes to a new music directory? Since its on the directory H on my windows assuming on the Mac it will be elsewhere once I transfer over.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Have you done this method, is it reliable in preserving those things listed? Does it matter if my music is in a different location than the default "music" folder?
Yes, it is reliable. It doesn't matter where your music folder is, as long as you point to it in your iTunes preferences.

macleod199

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
So I'll be making the transition from PC to iMac once the new ones are released and figured I'd make this thread now to get an idea of how this is going to be done.

Is it a simple task of a fresh iTunes install on my Mac, and dragging and dropping the "iTunes" folder from my Windows machine into that directory? Will this transfer over my library setup with ratings, playlists and album art?

Also if I manage to get the album art, ratings and playlists transferred over how would I got about pointing iTunes to a new music directory? Since its on the directory H on my windows assuming on the Mac it will be elsewhere once I transfer over.

As long as "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" is on, it will move everything to wherever you point it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.