Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRooney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Charleston, SC
I just noticed when asking about my calendar for the day, Siri now tells you the time, title, location, and attendees (and I'd assume any other information you put in an event). Before it would simply state "you have x events today". Not sure how new this is but it wasn't like this last week. Gotta be a server side update.

Edit: it's even more detailed than that. I just asked how my week looked and siri read aloud all details of every event for the next 7 days.

Edit #2: just notices it only happens when you do raise to speak...a feature I just turned on so for all I know it's been like this all along. This thread could be a giant whoops.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
When I just ask Siri what appointments I have, she doesn't read the details, only the number of calendar events. When I ask her to read my appointments, she reads all the details of each event.

AeroUK

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
New York
He is right, when you raise to speak you get ALL of the info but when you press and hold the home button you just get 'found today's appointments' and shows the list...

Why is this?

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
She probably assumes if you hit the home button you can see the information, but if you raise to speak you can't see the screen!

Apple Engineers... Always thinking :)

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
She probably assumes if you hit the home button you can see the information, but if you raise to speak you can't see the screen!

Apple Engineers... Always thinking :)

Always thinking, but not thinking enough. You can't look at the screen while driving... and it's during the drive to work when I'd be most likely to ask Siri what my day looks like.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Always thinking, but not thinking enough. You can't look at the screen while driving... and it's during the drive to work when I'd be most likely to ask Siri what my day looks like.

Maybe they could address that by knowing whether or not it is the headphone button, over the home button...

Touché good sir!

Siri pretty much does everything wrong when I ask. When she does do something right, it takes her a very long time. I found I like her Australian voice -- it's rather sexy but she really has trouble understanding me. When i do use Siri (which is rare) I will use the Canadian voice as it seems to be the most accurate (which is still horribly inaccurate).

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

Actually, if your phone is paired with a bluetooth headset or an in-car Bluetooth system, Siri will read out all your appointments and text messages while driving. The same is true if you have headphones plugged in.

And this makes sense, because in multiple states now, handheld use of your cell phone (including mashing that home button) is prohibited while driving, while handsfree use is allowed.

digitalfailure

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
When I request a text, Siri does not close out of the Siri 'program'. Kind of annoying; never noticed it before.
I thought this was something that was specific to my iPhone, at least I know it's not now.

I'm finding Siri to be woefully inaccurate when trying to get it to send a text, I quite enjoy some of his sarcastic responses when he's slated though :D

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I ve used it a few times to send texts while in the car, and it has been very accurate. I didn't actually expec much since the interior of my Jeep isn't exactly what anyone would call a "quiet" environment.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Siri pretty much does everything wrong when I ask. When she does do something right, it takes her a very long time. I found I like her Australian voice -- it's rather sexy but she really has trouble understanding me. When i do use Siri (which is rare) I will use the Canadian voice as it seems to be the most accurate (which is still horribly inaccurate).

There must be something wrong with your phone because she works very well for me most of the time.

Edslunch

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Calgary, Canada

I tried Australian for a while until I realized she expected me to speak with that accent too.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.