Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

comex.png
Comex, the hacker responsible for JailbreakMe.com, is no longer employed at Apple after working at the company as an intern for just over a year. Forbes reports that Allegra forgot to respond to an email offering him a continuation of his employment at the company:
When I followed up with Allegra in a phone call, he explained that the email he forgot to answer was an offer to continue his employment at Apple as a remote intern. At Apple, apparently, offer letters are taken rather seriously, and Allegra soon learned that his had been rescinded. "I wasn't too happy about it, but it didn't seem like I was able to fix it," he says. "So that's what it is."

Allegra added that his departure from Apple was more complicated than just a forgotten email, and that "it wasn't a bad ending," but declined to say more. He also wouldn't say what he worked on during his two internships at Apple-one in the fall of last year and one over the past summer-but he said he enjoyed his time in Cupertino.
Last year, Forbes unmasked Comex as Nicholas Allegra, a Brown University student from Chappaqua, NY. In that article, Allegra described jailbreaking as "like editing an English paper... You just go through and look for errors. I don't know why I seem to be so effective at it."

Article Link: Nicholas Allegra, the Hacker Behind JailbreakMe.com, No Longer Working at Apple

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
REMOTE intern?

You're telling me this guy got to collect a fat apple paycheck and got to do it wherever he wanted?

i'd be mad too if i missed that offer letter. this is the type of thing that makes people move to blackhat, china, or possibly samsung.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Best wishes to Comex! He has has done a lot for the apple community. I can't wait to see his work with Ponies. ;)

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
"Remote Intern?"

I'm wondering if "remote intern" is just a clever way to "fire" him without legally firing him.
Was he being pushed out of the company, now that they got whatever info out of him they wanted.
Was he a remote intern before, or was this a change in title/designation/status?

Anyone heard of this before?

Last edited:

pianophile

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2002
Midwest
Forgot to respond?

He should be upset with himself for failing to deal with his e-mail in a timely manner, not upset with Apple.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
hopefully he gets back to jailbreaks, lord knows we need him...

still wishing for a limerain-esque bootrom exploit for A5 & A6 devices!
(probably a pipedream :( )

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Maybe if he used his @icloud.com email he could've blamed it on an iCloud outage and say he never got Apple's email.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
Probably mostly lies in this story....

It's not like Apple wouldn't let him know while he is employed as intern that they will be re hiring him....

They wouldn't just shoot him an email out of the blue and be like "hey you want to keep working for us" lol.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
What a prat, he needs to lean how the real world works, big opportunities like this don't come along too often especially in the current labour market.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
REMOTE intern?

You're telling me this guy got to collect a fat apple paycheck and got to do it wherever he wanted?

Interns rarely to never get a FAT paycheck, if they get one at all and they rarely to never get to do whatever they want.

As for the 'remote' part, he's a student whose 'job' was likely to through the various betas and such and look for loopholes that would allow someone to create a jailbreak. You don't need to be at Cupertino to do that. Thus the remote offer, which he F'd up by not opening that email.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.