Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:16 PM   #126
AppleMark
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyisgreat View Post
REMOTE intern?

You're telling me this guy got to collect a fat apple paycheck and got to do it wherever he wanted?

i'd be mad too if i missed that offer letter. this is the type of thing that makes people move to blackhat, china, or possibly samsung.
Think about it.

The guy was essentially a hacker. A good one... that's why they gave him a 'job' in the first place.

It is my guess that Apple hired him "remotely" (not needing/wanting him to relocate or work on campus) probably because they did not want or trust a hacker wandering around Cupertino.

What they probably did want was to drain his brain of anything of security interest on the cheap and without any longterm obligation, hence....(ahem.), Intern.

One reason why he is probably no longer working at Apple is because the above scenario either worked out [for Apple] or did not, whichever way you chose to look at it.

Anyway, are we really calling this guy names etc, merely because he did not get / take up a longer term posting?

Really?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:38 PM   #127
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMellish View Post
What a **** bag.
That "**** bag" allowed me to get Terminal and a user agent faker on my iPhone. Thanks to him, iOS is pretty much perfect for me.

----------

This guy looks almost exactly like my cousin for some reason. I thought it was him for a moment.
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:04 PM   #128
clibinarius
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25 View Post
Exactly how do you know the job Apple offered him was 'a garbage job'?

Answer: You don't. You have zero knowledge of what the job was.
If Apple was really interested, they'd have given him obviously more than they gave him. And since when is being an intern a great job?

I mean, seriously, get real. They had to have been given him something he decided wasn't worth his time and effort, and the guy works for free. You do the math.

I'm not replying to you anymore. You're only interested in cheering Apple on with your arguments. This is macrumors, not macfanboy. Some of us want to know what's going on and don't need people telling us how much everything that doesn't give Apple money is insufficient. Comex is very important for my user experience. I'm glad to see him not need an intern job any longer.
clibinarius is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:36 PM   #129
Swift
macrumors 65816

Here's my guess

The reason he wasn't happy about staying was, he wants to crack iOS 6, which is a lot harder than all the other versions. I imagine it will fall, and Comex wants the bragging rights.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
That "**** bag" allowed me to get Terminal and a user agent faker on my iPhone. Thanks to him, iOS is pretty much perfect for me.

----------

This guy looks almost exactly like my cousin for some reason. I thought it was him for a moment.
What do you want a user agent faker for? Pretend you're another phone?
Swift is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:30 PM   #130
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
What do you want a user agent faker for? Pretend you're another phone?
I use it to pretend that I'm a full-on PC so I don't have to deal with every other site shoving their iOS app in my face. There are also some annoying mobile sites, especially my school's mobile site, which doesn't work and doesn't let you switch to the regular site. Also, I think a lot of sites replace their Flash ads with images that can load if it detects a mobile device, which is bad.

I went to a site to look up some scientific fact (forget what it was), and the site immediately redirected me to their app on the App Store. Very annoying.
faroZ06 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:34 AM   #131
TC25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clibinarius View Post
If Apple was really interested, they'd have given him obviously more than they gave him. And since when is being an intern a great job?

I mean, seriously, get real. They had to have been given him something he decided wasn't worth his time and effort, and the guy works for free. You do the math.

I'm not replying to you anymore. You're only interested in cheering Apple on with your arguments. This is macrumors, not macfanboy. Some of us want to know what's going on and don't need people telling us how much everything that doesn't give Apple money is insufficient. Comex is very important for my user experience. I'm glad to see him not need an intern job any longer.
As I said, you don't have any information about the offer. You have not even read the information in this thread concerning the agreements he signed that preclude him from working on a jailbreak. You're the one who needs to live in the real world where facts exist, not just your fantasies and irrational Apple anger.
TC25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:24 AM   #132
krravi
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmet View Post
One does not simply forget to respond Apple's offer
In this case, it was Apple's loss rather than this guy. Remember for this guy hacking Apple was a good pastime. For Apple, it was crucial to know where its loopholes were.

People with such talents rather tend to be eccentric and not pay much attention to the things others deem important.

Apple needs to have put a geek in charge of this guy rather than some MBA.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:39 AM   #133
iCUP
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post

----------

Your cousin looks like Harry Potter?
iCUP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:44 AM   #134
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCUP View Post
Your cousin looks like Harry Potter?
Not as much as this guy does. It's more like this:
Potter ≈ Allegra ≈ cousin
not
Potter ≈ cousin ≈ Allegra
Like 3 and 5 both being close to 4, but 3 and 5 aren't that close to each other.
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:41 PM   #135
felt.
macrumors 6502

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesmith13245 View Post
Apple had no intention on hiring this kid. This was an excersise in knowledge transfer: how to plug the holes and prevent future jailbreaks. I find it hard to beleive an email is considered a formal means to offer an internship. Something is not right here.
my thoughts as well, if he was smart he didn't reveal all his tricks.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:51 PM   #136
TedM
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainMac View Post
But how does this relate to Harry Potter?
He totally looks like harry potter!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:13 PM   #137
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

I don't think anyone should expect him to come back to the Jailbreak scene anytime soon.

Probably never.

The kid is moving on
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:53 PM   #138
cgk.emu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside guy View Post
What, are you working in the past or something? I don't think anyone's said that in 7-8 years.
Alright, Mr. Portland, how about you fill us in on the buzzword of the week?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedM View Post
He totally looks like harry potter!
If you're high and drunk maybe.
cgk.emu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:55 AM   #139
TC25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by krravi View Post
In this case, it was Apple's loss rather than this guy. Remember for this guy hacking Apple was a good pastime. For Apple, it was crucial to know where its loopholes were.

People with such talents rather tend to be eccentric and not pay much attention to the things others deem important.

Apple needs to have put a geek in charge of this guy rather than some MBA.
This thread is hilarious. First people claim to know what job he was offered. Now people claim to know he didn't report to a geek.
TC25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:05 AM   #140
krravi
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25 View Post
This thread is hilarious. First people claim to know what job he was offered. Now people claim to know he didn't report to a geek.
I don't think anyone knows about his job. Its just that he slacked replying to an e-mail and that didn't sit well with the management. He tweeted this himself as to why he was let go.

And after working many years in such an environment I can see sometimes that management really don't know how to deal with geeks. They are more into protocols rather than how to get the best out of an employee.

It was more of a musing. Well if it's funny, then at the least it was good for a laugh.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:06 PM   #141
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoyblazed View Post
guy looks like a dbag
You really think dbaggery is determined by looks?
Don't look now but your turnip truck just left.
Bubba Satori is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:15 PM   #142
fa8362
macrumors 65816

Email job offer? Shouldn't they have called him or met with him?
fa8362 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:25 PM   #143
Gasu E.
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ01 View Post
Apple Makes millions of iPhones but was to lazy to pick up a phone and call him.
That's the problem right there. Apple makes millions of iPhones; therefore it would have taken an incredible effort to locate the precise phone with which to call him.

Thanks for noticing that highly relevant connection between making phones and calling someone, which led me to reach this conclusion.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:17 PM   #144
Bill Killer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akarin View Post
I don't know how it is where you live but here, it became a standard a few years ago. At least in the tech industry.
I don't work in the tech industry, but every formal offer I've ever gotten has at least been accompanied by a phone call.
Bill Killer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion