Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:17 PM   #1
Eckscaliber
macrumors 6502a

Something is rattling inside my iPhone 5.

I just noticed today that when I tap the back, anywhere from the Apple logo to the top of my phone, the back will rattle. It sounds like something may have broken off or become loose inside. It is defeinitely something that just happened today or yesterday because I would have noticed it a lot sooner if it was like this out of the box. Does anyone know what the issue might be?

I bought my phone from AT&T. What kind of exchange or warranty service do they offer standard? I did not purchase issurance or Apple Care.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:23 PM   #2
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

it is the camera lense and is totally normal. There are a few threads if you search
mattopotamus is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:27 PM   #3
F123D
macrumors 68040

Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
it is the camera lense and is totally normal. There are a few threads if you search
Exactly.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:34 PM   #4
saving107
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
more than a few actually.
saving107 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:16 PM   #5
Eckscaliber
macrumors 6502a

The camera lense is rattling even if I am tapping the Apple logo? That's like 1/3 of the back. Why is it normal?
Eckscaliber is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:19 PM   #6
iBaloney
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckscaliber View Post
The camera lense is rattling even if I am tapping the Apple logo? That's like 1/3 of the back. Why is it normal?
if you tap the display models at the apple store you will find the same type of rattling. I've done this even on the new ipod touches.

Just search the threads for your answer.
iBaloney is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:22 PM   #7
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

This topic is made like everyday
tymaster50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:30 PM   #8
yoshimeow
macrumors member

nope not all the iphone 5 rattles.. my new one is completely silent as is all my coworkers..

It's true some of the camera lens may rattle bit.. My old iphone I thought had this problem but i took it in and it turns out mine was MISSING A PART!!! so if u dont feel comfortable take it in and get it checked out instead of listening to the people that think they know it all on this forum
yoshimeow is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:40 PM   #9
Nabby
macrumors regular

If it rattles and you can actually feel the weight shifting, it is the battery. I had a co-worker who's battery was loose the day she received it. She took it to an Apple store and they opened the phone and re-glued the battery in place. It worked for about a week, then came loose again. Apple replaced the phone in the store.

Nabby
Nabby is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:45 PM   #10
meistervu
macrumors 6502a

Heffalump?
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:10 PM   #11
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshimeow View Post
nope not all the iphone 5 rattles.. my new one is completely silent as is all my coworkers..

It's true some of the camera lens may rattle bit.. My old iphone I thought had this problem but i took it in and it turns out mine was MISSING A PART!!! so if u dont feel comfortable take it in and get it checked out instead of listening to the people that think they know it all on this forum
typically that is the noise people are hearing. I will now go back to my
'know it all" thrown.
mattopotamus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:23 PM   #12
Hpye
macrumors 6502

Mine rattles and took it in. The genius replace it for me with new phone. They open up the old phone and it was not a camera like every said . The screw was not properly screw. Bad qc
Hpye is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:28 PM   #13
Noisemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshimeow View Post

Because I totally believe that some minimum wage worker at an Apple Store was able to tell you that.

You're full of it. Plain and simple.
Noisemaker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:37 AM   #14
Chic0
macrumors 6502

I'm having the same problem with my iphone5 too. Only started happening a few days ago. It's not a loud sound and only happens when placing the phone down.

I'm not going to bother swapping it out yet. I've got Applecare, so will probably use that at some point.
Chic0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:51 PM   #15
yoshimeow
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisemaker View Post
Because I totally believe that some minimum wage worker at an Apple Store was able to tell you that.

You're full of it. Plain and simple.
and you are clearly full of ur self.. plain and simlpe.. umm it doesn't take a genius (pun intended) to see a part is missing. The guy even told me exactly which part was missing. You can see it on ifixit. It's the metal piece that holds the connector down in this picture. you can go on and be your stupid self now. .
thanks

yoshimeow is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:54 PM   #16
sillywabbit
macrumors 6502a

I was told it was the vibrator.
sillywabbit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:33 PM   #17
phonelover01
macrumors newbie

^I think It really depends on what the sound is--if it's a teeny clink when the phone is set down, then it is probably normal. If it's a definite "rattle" and is heard when moving the phone back and forth, I'd definitely take it in to be looked at as it's clear that not all iPhone 5s make this sound. There's a difficulty in telling a specific user whether their phone is "normal" or not when we haven't heard the rattle. To be clear, my first 5 had a very distinctive rattle which I did not view as normal and sure enough, my replacement 5 sounds better.
phonelover01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:47 PM   #18
brokenbuyer
macrumors regular

I ignored it. Mine is loud enough that if you place your phone on the table, you will it "shake".

However, if you put a finger over the power button and another over the camera lenses, there should be no sound.
brokenbuyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:26 PM   #19
Eckscaliber
macrumors 6502a

As soon as I get the tool, I'm going to open my phone to try and fix the problem.
Eckscaliber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:56 PM   #20
swervinsuburban
macrumors regular

For me it's my power button, if I put my finger in it and shake it the phone makes no sound, little annoying but dunno if its worth swapping because its perfect otherwise
swervinsuburban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:24 PM   #21
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

It's related to one of the speakers not functioning on the bottom of the phone. If both the speakers are functioning, the rattle will disappear.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:47 PM   #22
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
It's related to one of the speakers not functioning on the bottom of the phone. If both the speakers are functioning, the rattle will disappear.
i heard its the widget house not completely connected...or it could be that the qualcomm chip is out of LTE fluid.
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:41 PM   #23
MattMJB0188
macrumors 68000

Rattling near the camera is normal, unless you are putting your phone up to your ear and hearing a slight rattle. You should only hear a rattle when you slightly tap on the phone. At no other time should it be audible.
MattMJB0188 is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone