Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 12, 2011
USA
So i know that with Bootcamp, Parallels...etc you can play Windows games on a Mac. I'm interested in Batman Arkham City which will be released by Feral Interactive on Nov. Judging that Mac does not Direct X11 like the Windows version i'm curious in what kind of Graphic, processor feral will ask for and require? When i installed parallels 6 and Batman Arkham City, it lagged (even on Low) I have a Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 15" Intel i5 2.5Ghz, Nvidia GeoForce 330M, Nvidia HD 3000, 4GBs of Ram.

Last edited:

MacGamerHQ

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Lyon, France
So i know that with Bootcamp, Parallels...etc you can play Windows games on a Mac. I'm interested in Batman Arkham City which will be released by Feral Interactive on Nov. Judging that Mac does not Direct X11 like the Windows version i'm curious in what kind of Graphic, processor feral will ask for and require? When i installed parallels 6 and Batman Arkham City, it lagged (even on Low) I have a Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 15" Intel i5 2.5Ghz, Nvidia GeoForce 330M, Nvidia HD 3000, 4GBs of Ram.

Well, Parallels is a good solution for running windows software with minimum hassle. However, it sucks for "hardcore" gaming (by that I mean games with heavy graphics of course)!

So it's no surprise that your mac struggled... Try it using bootcamp if you really want to see the max your mac can do.

Cheers!

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
This thread is about an OS X game, NOT the Windows version.

In any case, Feral is by far the best Mac gaming publisher out there, with extremely well-performing native ports...I definitely think it will be a great job with all DLCs included, just like Arkham Asylum was on the Mac.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012

An upgrade to Parallels 8 would help performance-wise. You are two versions behind and there was substantial performance improvements from 6 to 7 in particular. However, just generally speaking I would not expect Parallels to consistently be a good solution for newer games. It is awesome for older ones I find but running a newer demanding game in a VM is just too hardware intensive for decent performance in a lot of cases. From what I understand, sometimes you can get away with it but I wouldn't count on it is what I mean.

I wouldn't guess about system requirements for a Feral release that are not published yet. All you'd get is a guess. Maybe looking at the system requirements for Arkham Asylum from Feral would give a hint but who knows if the newer game will be more demanding.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I have a Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 15" Intel i5 2.5Ghz, Nvidia GeoForce 330M, Nvidia HD 3000, 4GBs of Ram.

You will be able to play with a smooth fps on the lower settings. I can't say much more right now but specs will be firmed up soon.

Edwin

angel2nz

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2010
DLCs in Parallels?

have BAC on paralells via bootcamp. Having a dickens of a time getting the DLC skins to show. have them all, but the cheat wont work etc. any ideas?

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
Any idea on the actual release date for the Mac version?

Cheers guys,

dont even bother with the mac version, it runs awful, even on the lowest res and lowest settings, the game will simply not run when i can play it on max res and on high at around 35fps and my computer is in my sig

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 12, 2011
USA
dont even bother with the mac version, it runs awful, even on the lowest res and lowest settings, the game will simply not run when i can play it on max res and on high at around 35fps and my computer is in my sig

That is a false statement. Previous owner of a Mid 2010 Macbook pro 2.4GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 4GB of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 memory, Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM. Batman Arkham City ran at minimum 30fps to maximum 50fps. Everything on medium and still looked good.

I am now the owner of the Mid 2013 15.4' Macbook Pro W/Retina Display, Intel Haswell Quad-Core 2.3 GHz, 16GB of RAM, Intel Iris Pro Graphics,
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory. Batman Arkham City runs at 60fps at settings set at High.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I love it! A thread this old and the OP returns to set the record straight the very same night somebody needs correction.

Nice! :D

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
That is a false statement. Previous owner of a Mid 2010 Macbook pro 2.4GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 4GB of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 memory, Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM. Batman Arkham City ran at minimum 30fps to maximum 50fps. Everything on medium and still looked good.

I am now the owner of the Mid 2013 15.4' Macbook Pro W/Retina Display, Intel Haswell Quad-Core 2.3 GHz, 16GB of RAM, Intel Iris Pro Graphics,
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory. Batman Arkham City runs at 60fps at settings set at High.

I swear i was average around 30-35 FPS with my system with Arkham city on high, running windows 7, I noticed with the latest Nvidia driver the 330m gt is running a lot better now and I will be getting same system in the next few months as well, makes me excited to see your high performance

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004

The mac version runs very well on almost all Mac's, Nvidia 3xx series (the Mac you own) has a number of large performance issues in the drivers that cause performance issues in many games, additionally the performance also dropped in the latest OS's due to some regressions in OS X drivers for 3xx series which made the game run slower than before.

Due to the age of the this card it's unlikely any major fixes are planned as a high priority for OS X. We did log them all with Apple/Nvidia though so you never know however the slowdown is not something we can fix without driver fixes/improvements.

Edwin

Last edited:

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Why generalise?
Runs perfectly on my iMac @2560x1440 with a 1Gb 6970M card. Very smooth, even at high settings.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
The mac version runs very well on almost all Mac's, Nvidia 3xx series (the Mac you own) has a number of large performance issues in the drivers that cause performance issues in many games, additionally the performance also dropped in the latest OS's due to some regressions in OS X drivers for 3xx series which made the game run slower than before.

Due to the age of the this card it's unlikely any major fixes are planned as a high priority for OS X. We did log them all with Apple/Nvidia though so you never know however the slowdown is not something we can fix without driver fixes/improvements.

Edwin

that explains a lot, i know the card is old, but i didn't dig too deep into the performance issues of the game and see if I'm not the only one having the problems, thank you so much for the insight

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
that explains a lot, i know the card is old, but i didn't dig too deep into the performance issues of the game and see if I'm not the only one having the problems, thank you so much for the insight

Happy to give the insight, we REALLY dislike the fact we can't get the speed on your card but we just ran out of options, it's rare but sometimes it happens.

The good news is if the drivers are improved the game should just speed up magically, we have the ability to turn on and off render modes using your preferences file so if we find a way or something changes we can get the boost asap sometimes without even patching. :)

Thanks for your understanding.

Edwin

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
Currently 75% off on App Store ($5.79 in Canada). Not a fan of Batman games, but at that price I wouldn't giving it a try. Hopefully it runs well at max settings on my late-2012 iMac 10.8.5!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.