Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Due to the lack of iPhone 5 accessories I have just ordered a new pioneer head unit for my car. It has bluetooth 3.0 for music streaming.

Many people say that bluetooth audio quality is inferior to a regular aux cable, however I know this was the case with older bluetooth 2.0 (2Mbps) however bluetooth 3.0 is much faster 26Mbps.

So my question - is sound quality affected still using bluetooth 3.0??

FallenRook

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
Yeah, at best it will probably be a little worst. Another bad thing is that it will take up a lot of battery, so you'll need a car charger too.

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
You know you can put 24/48 ALAC files on an iPhone, right?

Or are you speaking of a conversion in the BT Audio process.
Yes, I'm aware of that. I'm just speaking in general. If the user is using ALAC files, that would work fine even in the conversion process. If he's using AAC files, I'm sure it wouldn't be an "ideal" setup.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I find it fine in my car, unless all the music you got is in high quality then you prob won't notice a difference unless you are an audio snub.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
I find it fine in my car, unless all the music you got is in high quality then you prob won't notice a difference unless you are an audio snub.

I disagree, unless you have a crappy system and speakers, you will notice a distinct lack of low-end, also Siri etc sounds pants through bluetooth.

Edit: but for casual listening, it's fine. I wish they brought out ad-hoc Airplay clients for cars, tempted to try an Airport Express on a Inverter :)

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I disagree, unless you have a crappy system and speakers, you will notice a distinct lack of low-end, also Siri etc sounds pants through bluetooth.

Edit: but for casual listening, it's fine. I wish they brought out ad-hoc Airplay clients for cars, tempted to try an Airport Express on a Inverter :)

I have a better than average sound system and I see no distinct lack of low-end. Also, Siri for me sounds the same as in the phone, just lower than the music playing.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
I have a better than average sound system and I see no distinct lack of low-end. Also, Siri for me sounds the same as in the phone, just lower than the music playing.

I have a Naim audio system in my house and also the Harmon Kardon upgraded speakers in my BMW, also used it on a Meridian system in a Range..... Bluetooth DEFINITELY is lacking in low-ends, cable is so much better than bluetooth in every respect.

Siri does not sound the same, look at the apple forums about Siri quality being akin to old analogue telephone quality.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I have a Naim audio system in my house and also the Harmon Kardon upgraded speakers in my BMW, also used it on a Meridian system in a Range..... Bluetooth DEFINITELY is lacking in low-ends, cable is so much better than bluetooth in every respect.

Siri does not sound the same, look at the apple forums about Siri quality being akin to old analogue telephone quality.

I can find many weird or unusual things at the apple forums. My car has a full Sony system and an aftermarket BT that is powered separately. Maybe the BT in your systems is 1.0 or weak.
Also, I'm not disagreeing that wired is better, but that a good BT system/ connection is more than good in your car and for my system, Siri sounds ok.

KurianOfBorg

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2013
Even plain old Bluetooth with SBC encoding goes up to 320 kb/s. This must at least be equal to 128 kb/s MP3 in terms of quality. I honestly can't tell the difference between wired and using my HS3000 aptX receiver with my Klipsch Image X10i. The iPhone doesn't support aptX and the receiver doesn't support AAC so it's using SBC.

Even if receivers supported AAC (the iPhone can stream AAC) I don't know whether phones will still reencode using AAC or stream the original AAC data.

In your case the only way you will get lossless transmission is if the car supports AAC encoding and the iPhone detects this and passes through the AAC data. If the quality is poor, then it must be falling all the way back to low bit rate SBC. I can't tell the difference between wired and high bit rate SBC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.