Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:05 PM   #1
djsound
macrumors 6502a

Choppy looking text

I feel that I am doing something wrong. Either that or I am losing my mind....maybe both. When I do text in photoshop it comes out looking kind of jagged to me. Anti Aliasing is on and it is on smoothing...but when I look at other text on some ads and things (on the same monitor) they seem to look smoother. I could be imagining it though....attached is an example...any ideas? I have tried a 1 px blur on the entire graphic once flattened but that blurs everything and I don't want to do that...
Attached Images

djsound is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:19 PM   #2
KidHTML
macrumors newbie

I too run into this problem...It could be the fonts used? I notice when using illustrator, text always comes out less-jaggy.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:36 AM   #3
MisterMe
macrumors G4

This has nothing to do with the fonts used. It has everything to do with the fact that Illustrator produces vector graphics but Photoshop produces raster graphics.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:03 AM   #4
djsound
macrumors 6502a

In both Illustrator & Photoshop this happens...the text just does not look as clean as on some things that I see..
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:09 PM   #5
UTclassof89
macrumors 6502

Type quality in Photoshop depends on the resolution of the document (even though type layers are vector, they preview at the file resolution).

If you generate TIFF, JPG, PNG, GIF images out of Illustrator, the same thing happens-- the vector type is rasterized at the file resolution.

When building ads, save in PDF format (in Photoshop leave your text layers intact--don't flatten, and leave the "Layers" option checked in the Save dialog. This will keep the vector type intact in the PDF)
Old Nov 1, 2012, 01:34 PM   #6
djsound
macrumors 6502a

That is a great idea for print work but I am talking about stuff for the web. Sorry left out that detail.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:42 PM   #7
Apple Key
macrumors 6502a

For Photoshop make sure you you set the anti-aliasing method (Sharp, Crisp, Strong, Smooth).

For Illustrator in Save for Web & Devices, under Image Size, choose Type Optimized.

Also, you can view choose View > Pixel Preview in Illustrator to see how the individual pixels are going to come out in the finished product and adjust the placement of the type.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics