Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In line with one of the theories explaining two dozen iPad part numbers that appeared earlier this week, 9to5Mac reports that half of those part numbers are indeed for a revised version of the third-generation full-size iPad.

The revised iPads arriving at next Tuesday's media event will reportedly make the switch to Apple's new Lightning connector, and may include other enhancements as well while retaining the same pricing as the current models.
Apple will announce a refreshed version of its full-sized, 9.7-inch Retina display iPad at its media event October 23rd, according to our sources. These people say that the new version of the iPad will retain the same $499, $599, and $699 WiFi-only price points, and the LTE line will retain the current $629, $729, and $829 pricing. With no price changes or additional storage capacities, we believe that the storage options of 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB will also be retained.
ipad_3_revised_part_numbers.jpg

Claims of a revised full-size iPad surfaced in July amid considerable skepticism, but gained momentum with several follow-up reports in subsequent weeks and were fleshed out with additional rumors over the past several months.

Rumors for the tweaked iPad have included a shift to new indium gallium zinc oxide (IGZO) display technology, better heat dissipation, backlight changes, 4G LTE support for the UK and other countries using the 1800 MHz frequency band, and perhaps even a move to Apple's new A6 chip found in the iPhone 5. It is, however, unclear just which of the rumored changes will actually be included in the revision.

Article Link: Tweaked Full-Size iPad with Lightning Connector Coming Next Week

Akuratyde

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
GOOD. Maybe now they can finally start getting out of this 12-month redesign cycle they and their customers are locked into. Apple should make updates to the iPad and iPhone when they an addition worthy of an update. They don't update the iMac's and Macbook's every 12 months because there's no reason to. They do spec bumps when it's necessary and there's no reason the iPhone or iPad should be different.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
Sooo does this still mean an iPad 4 this spring? :confused: because that's the only reason I've been delaying my first iPad purchase.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I would not be surprised by this. I was expecting Apple to do this, and then just push the normal iPad update to fall of 2013 or summer.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
All I expect is lightning connector and UK support. Better heat management, maybe. The rest seem like things appropriate for the new new iPad.

Obi-Wan Kubrick

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
Switching to lightning connector makes sense in the iPad, that way their whole (most) mobile line can switch to lightning in the same year. Improved interior would be nice, does it still over heat with the retina display?

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Nope!! The iPad 4th gen is probably already being tested at apple why waste the time with a revised 3rd gen!!

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Damn it..

but as soon as it's just a connector change.. I'm fine. I have a lot of 30-pin cables but only 2 lightning cables. I don't want my iPad to compete cables with my iPhone 5 so soon.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
If this is true, this iPad must at least be thinner, that and reversibility are the only advantages to lightning. You lose a lot for those two features, so the iPad better not only have one of them!

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
We don't know what the revision entails.

There are some really good reasons for a more elaborate tweak though. For example:
  1. The lightening connector needs support. The faster Apple gets people moved to the standard the faster they can get on with other things.
  2. If the Sharp displays are indeed ready they would offer up a significant power savings which leads to longer battery life. This leads to marketing possibilities.
  3. Microsoft is coming out with their product, Apples ability to market new and improved devices against MS hardware is a positive thing. Even if the improvements are minor, people respond to new and Improved.
  4. If Apple does go A6 they will effectively be able to outperform most MS tablets with very good battery life. Not just ARM based MS tablets but even ATOM based tablets. Putting MS in the back seat performance wise would truly destroy any initiative they may have. It is bit of a brutal approach to business but if Apple can trash MS launch it could put MS tablet adoption behind by years.
  5. The potential for better and more universal LTE support should not be dismissed. apple coming up short here has been a problem in some countries.
  6. Christmas is coming. This should be self explanatory.
  7. A major revision at this time could potentially double performance of the iPad. This is huge and frankly as much as I love my iPad 3 it could use a performance boost. At this time it looks like a doubling of performance would be a no brainer for A6.
  8. Disruption of the rest of the competition. Why let the competition make progress against you.

Why would they not just wait until it is actually redesigned? It seems too soon for a heavily revised model.

Oh I think it is the perfect time. Hit the market right before MS introduces their hardware and right before the holiday shopping season with a device that no one can touch. Brilliant!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.