Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cowbellallen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
I have 4 months left under my two year contract with Verizon. I also have an unlimited plan. Seeing as I really don't understand how cell phone companies work, I'd rally appreciate some help!

I want to upgrade to an iPhone 5 and keep my unlimited plan. I understand to do this, I need to buy the phone outright (something like $750). But do I need to wait until the 4 months of my contract are up, or can I go ahead and buy the iPhone 5 and activate it and do whatever with the iPhone 4 I currently have?

Thanks for any help, I'm a big newb to iPhone!

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
No if you buy the phone outright you do not have to sign another 2 year contract. Your 5 will be month to month, no cancellation penalties. The 4S is yours to keep free and clear if you satisfied the terms of your original 2 year agreement.

cowbellallen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
No if you buy the phone outright you do not have to sign another 2 year contract. Your 5 will be month to month, no cancellation penalties. The 4S is yours to keep free and clear if you satisfied the terms of your original 2 year agreement.

Thanks! Unfortunately, my local stores are all sold out and I can't buy an iPhone at regular price on the Apple Store. :(

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I have 4 months left under my two year contract with Verizon. I also have an unlimited plan. Seeing as I really don't understand how cell phone companies work, I'd rally appreciate some help!

I want to upgrade to an iPhone 5 and keep my unlimited plan. I understand to do this, I need to buy the phone outright (something like $750). But do I need to wait until the 4 months of my contract are up, or can I go ahead and buy the iPhone 5 and activate it and do whatever with the iPhone 4 I currently have?

Thanks for any help, I'm a big newb to iPhone!

To keep your unlimited plan with Verizon, you CANNOT, under any circumstances, sign a new contract. If you do, you lose the unlimited data plan and you will not be able to get it back. Period.

As for buying an iPhone 5 out of contract, yes, it will be that expensive, at least. You can do it at any time. I'm pretty sure you can't order the phone from the online Apple Store, but I could be wrong; they might require you to do it with a two year agreement. I don't know about how the Apple retail stores do it. I do know that you can do it by showing up to a Verizon retail store and buying one that way; that might be the easiest option sans headache. For how much you're paying, I'd highly recommending getting AppleCare+.

cowbellallen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Thanks for the advice. I don't understand how I'm supposed to even get the phone if every sore in five hundred miles is sold out. Guess I'll just have to wait!

EDIT: FWIW, I have called Apple twice and both times they've informed me that I cannot pre-order an unsubsidized iPhone and will need to wait until stores carry stock. Hopefully this may help someone in same boat.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.