Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nate.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Chicago, IL
I don't even have an iPad at the moment, I planned to buy one around this month (Ironically), but with all this iPad Mini buzz, it's gotten a bit tougher to choose which one.

So many people are saying that the iPad Mini will KILL the iPad, or "cannibalize" it. What? How? Did the Macbook Air kill the Macbook Pro? No! Just like the iPad Nano didn't kill anything, is it the best selling iPod? Sure, because it's the best one of the price and for the market it's going for.

I just don't understand. I'm sure the iPad Mini will be a great product, in fact, I know it will. But it's not killing anything. I personally don't even want one. The 9" iPad is still my favorite. :cool:

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I don't even have an iPad at the moment, I planned to buy one around this month (Ironically), but with all this iPad Mini buzz, it's gotten a bit tougher to choose which one.

So many people are saying that the iPad Mini will KILL the iPad, or "cannibalize" it. What? How? Did the Macbook Air kill the Macbook Pro? No! Just like the iPad Nano didn't kill anything, is it the best selling iPod? Sure, because it's the best one of the price and for the market it's going for.

I just don't understand. I'm sure the iPad Mini will be a great product, in fact, I know it will. But it's not killing anything. I personally don't even want one. The 9" iPad is still my favorite. :cool:

I wouldn't take those comments seriously. And not everyone wants an iPad Mini.

It will, however, sell really good. It might take away from sales of the full-sized iPad a little bit, but it won't kill it. But it will exist to give people a choice. Myself, I want a top-of-the-line iPad Mini. I think the 9.7-inch iPad would be too big for my uses.

I say go with the size you prefer, and don't let all this Mini talk prevent you from doing that.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Personally, I doubt the new iPad Mini will overtake the 9.7" iPad. I think the mini is going to aim towards people who want a smaller device to read eBooks on, as to compete with the Kindle and Nook. The 9.7" iPad will still have a use among students, like myself, who use the iPad to take notes in lectures. The smaller screen on the Mini would make typing really difficult. And taking notes is just one reason of many reasons why the 9.7" will more than likely stick around.

And while the MacBook Air didn't take over the MacBook Pro, note the MBP 13" and 15" took over the 17" which is now no longer for sale.

ffohwx

macrumors member
May 7, 2010
Fairfield, Ohio
I have a 3rd gen iPad and have absolutely zero interest in an iPad Mini, other than I want to see how it does with the competition in the 7" rage tablet market. Personally, I think the 10" range tablets are the perfect size.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I have a 3rd gen iPad and have absolutely zero interest in an iPad Mini, ...Personally, I think the 10" range tablets are the perfect size.

Ditto. I need the extra screen space for my work. But I think it's generally nice that Apple is adding a mid size option.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008

1) Where are you getting your MacBook Air vs MacBook Pro info? Im pretty sure that currently MBA outsells the MBP.

2) Cannibalizing another product isn't a bad thing when its all from the same company. iPhones/Touch cannibalized iPod sales but since theyre all made by the same company then it only made Apple stronger and more diverse.

3) You dont own an iPad yet so why take such a hard stance on what you want before even trying it. For many people then IF we were given a size option then not everyone would pick the bigger one so dont be in a rush to declare one to be a favorite when you havent even compared them in real life.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I'm sure that the Macbook Air took some sales that would have gone to the MBP if the Air hadn't been available. But it also took more sales from people who might otherwise have bought a Windows computer.

If the Air 2 years ago had supported 8GB of RAM, I would have gone with that rather than the MBP I did buy. I like small size in a laptop. My previous laptop, a Windows computer, was a 12" model.

On topic. I have a 3rd generation iPad. So would not buy a small iPad at this time for myself. For my usage, I don't think I would replace a full size iPad with a mini in a couple years because I also use it to read magazines, which really needs an even larger screen than the iPad currently has. Though with Retina, it is readable. A smaller physical screen would require scrolling.

If, later in the year, I'm optimistic enough about the economy, and the iPad minis have an acceptable price for a 4G model, I may buy 1 or 2 as gifts for relatives that don't currently have a tablet. The Facetime support, and the ability to add/remove cellular data as needed, make it useful for relatives who don't carry a smart phone because of the mandatory monthly data plans.

zephyrnoid

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Geneva Switzerland
It's all really quite simple:
There are only two types of technology users:
• Leaders (they decide what THEY need for themselves)
• Followers (they let others decide what they should desire and therefore... buy)
Sounds like you're a cynical leader. You know what YOU want but can't understand the sudden mutiny. But that part of the equation is quite simple. Apple made a MISTAKE in not pursuing a 7" 'Mini' sooner.
As always, Your Mileage May Vary ( from that of the madding crowd) :D

Nate.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Chicago, IL
1) Where are you getting your MacBook Air vs MacBook Pro info? Im pretty sure that currently MBA outsells the MBP.

2) Cannibalizing another product isn't a bad thing when its all from the same company. iPhones/Touch cannibalized iPod sales but since theyre all made by the same company then it only made Apple stronger and more diverse.

3) You dont own an iPad yet so why take such a hard stance on what you want before even trying it. For many people then IF we were given a size option then not everyone would pick the bigger one so dont be in a rush to declare one to be a favorite when you havent even compared them in real life.

1. Eh, I might have gone a bit overboard with that. However I doubt MBA outsells MBP but I don't know.

2. True, however I'd like to see iPad and iPad Mini run along side each other equally, myself.

3. Meh. I'm not trying to put down the iPad Mini or anything, as I said, it will be a great product. I'm just saying it seems like all the buzz surrounding the product is making it look like there's going to be some mass movement from the iPad to the Mini, I just don't think that's true.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
1. Eh, I might have gone a bit overboard with that. However I doubt MBA outsells MBP but I don't know.

2. True, however I'd like to see iPad and iPad Mini run along side each other equally, myself.

3. Meh. I'm not trying to put down the iPad Mini or anything, as I said, it will be a great product. I'm just saying it seems like all the buzz surrounding the product is making it look like there's going to be some mass movement from the iPad to the Mini, I just don't think that's true.

I don't see where the buzz indicates that or how you would get that impression. It's just a new Apple product that will be cheap, so of course people will go crazy over it.

But a mass movement and suddenly render the full-sized iPad as the inferior device? No.

duggram

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2008
:p

First, I hope I can have a Mini ASAP to replace my Fire which is about the right size but runs the wrong OS.

On the Air, don't you think it is a pioneering product? I had a 2010 13" MBA for about 6 months before it was stolen during the Spring last year and replaced it with a 13" MBP. When I saw the rMBP I thought it was the logical progression from the 13" MBA. Now I have the rMBP.

The Mini with my iPhone and rMBP for me will be the complete setup.

----------

As I said above, I have now owned both the 13" MBA and the 15" rMBP. It seems to me that the rMBP is an Air and confuses any kind of comparisons that can be made between Air's and Pro's.

----------

It's just a new Apple product that will be cheap, so of course people will go crazy over it.

Which current Apple product is cheap in it's category? I don't know the complete current product line well enough to know whether there is a cheap product. Have you seen the price estimates and rumored Mini product range? I'm not sure it can be said that Apple is going to make a cheap Mini product. The mini will have better quality and a price just above the competition.

Nate.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Chicago, IL
:p

First, I hope I can have a Mini ASAP to replace my Fire which is about the right size but runs the wrong OS.

On the Air, don't you think it is a pioneering product? I had a 2010 13" MBA for about 6 months before it was stolen during the Spring last year and replaced it with a 13" MBP. When I saw the rMBP I thought it was the logical progression from the 13" MBA. Now I have the rMBP.

The Mini with my iPhone and rMBP for me will be the complete setup.

----------

As I said above, I have now owned both the 13" MBA and the 15" rMBP. It seems to me that the rMBP is an Air and confuses any kind of comparisons that can be made between Air's and Pro's.

----------

Which current Apple product is cheap in it's category? I don't know the complete current product line well enough to know whether there is a cheap product. Have you seen the price estimates and rumored Mini product range? I'm not sure it can be said that Apple is going to make a cheap Mini product. The mini will have better quality and a price just above the competition.

rMBP doesn't seem like an Air to me, as (currently, the 13" might change this) it's not as portable as an Air. I also wouldn't call it an Air just yet because overall it's still more of a powerful machine, which costs a lot more compared to the Air which is a little cheaper. The 11" model is what.. starting at $999?

Also, yeah, there is really no "cheap" Apple product. The mini isn't going to start this either for what the price estimates are. $350 isn't exactly cheap.

Still I'm sure it'll be a hit product, just for a different kind of person than the kind of person who would pick up the regular iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.