Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I think with Windows 8, it's time for the "Mac vs PC" ads to return.

Although Apple should still feel ashamed about Lion's scrollbars.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
burn_computer.gif

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I really honestly don't get all the negativity with Windows 8. On my PC, not only did it not require any 3rd party driver installations, but it boots up and shuts down lightning fast, updates take no time what so ever (a godsend for Windows), has some great new tablet and desktop features, seems to use less resources than Windows 7 and the majority of my programs work fine on it.

And, as if that wasn't enough, it now has an interface suitable for tablets if you use one. In all honesty, I think Windows 8 is great. At least it connects to my WiFi with no issues which is more than I can say about both Lion and Mountain Lion (although I do admit that Mountain Lion has been behaving rather well since the last update).

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I don't need a tablet interface in a desktop OS.
Delete all the pre-bundled tablet apps and it has gone. If its the new fullscreen Start Menu you're bothered about then I cannot help you. I guess you don't use Launchpad.

They removed the Start button.
So they did. But click exactly where it used to be and the new Start menu launches. Is the fact that it is no longer there visually the reason you dislike Windows 8? Really?

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
So they did. But click exactly where it used to be and the new Start menu launches. Is the fact that it is no longer there visually the reason you dislike Windows 8? Really?

If you don't get the difference between Windows 7's Start menu and the Metro launcher, I think you should refrain from condescendence yourself.

*Hint: the fact that it's no longer there visually is a biggie.
**Hint: search-and-launch. Where is it?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
search-and-launch. Where is it?

Click the button, on the keyboard, that would bring up the start menu (which now brings up the start page) and start typing.

Seriously, it's that easy.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Delete all the pre-bundled tablet apps and it has gone. If its the new fullscreen Start Menu you're bothered about then I cannot help you. I guess you don't use Launchpad.

I don't use Launchpad.

The direction in which OSX, Windows, and Gnome Desktop are going are all misguided.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
If I was Microsoft and wanted to run a marketing blitz against Apple, I'd ignore the OS, ignore the hardware, and focus entirely on the amount of third party software that people need and use that only exists on Windows. That's their biggest strength.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
If you don't get the difference between Windows 7's Start menu and the Metro launcher, I think you should refrain from condescendence yourself.
Wat?

*Hint: the fact that it's no longer there visually is a biggie.
Okay. But either way, I can still happily launch the Start Menu without the start button being visually there.

**Hint: search-and-launch. Where is it?
Launch the Start Menu and then begin typing. Just like Windows 7 and Vista.

I don't use Launchpad.

The direction in which OSX, Windows, and Gnome Desktop are going are all misguided.
People always think this whenever something has changed. Personally, I think the diversification of the three is a good thing since before they all looked practically the same. I'm not too keen on the direction Apple has taken OS X (although it hasn't put me off using it since most of the new features I dislike can be ignored), but I think the new Windows and Gnome GUIs are a breath of fresh air and really great to use.

Last edited:

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir

If you don't see it, I don't know what to say.

Okay. But either way, I can still happily launch the Start Menu without the start button being visually there.

"Click at the corner there."

"Click what?"

"The corner."

"I don't see anything in the corner."

See where I'm going?

Launch the Start Menu and then begin typing. Just like Windows 7 and Vista.

That's good to hear. I concede that point, then. Strengthens my "no visual cues" point, however.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
If you don't see it, I don't know what to say.
I don't understand what I'm meant to be seeing.

"Click at the corner there."

"Click what?"

"The corner."

"I don't see anything in the corner."

See where I'm going?
Not really. Myself and many other Windows 8 users manage to click in a corner perfectly fine. Just like in OS X I manage to use the Hot Corners feature without issue as well.

That aside, the Start Button has been in the bottom left hand corner in Windows since 1995. If you don't know by now that clicking down there brings the Start Menu, then I'd probably think you've never used a Windows computer before.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Not really. Myself and many other Windows 8 users manage to click in a corner perfectly fine. Just like in OS X I manage to use the Hot Corners feature without issue as well.

That aside, the Start Button has been in the bottom left hand corner in Windows since 1995. If you don't know by now that clicking down there brings the Start Menu, then I'd probably think you've never used a Windows computer before.

I disagree, and I've been using Windows since Windows 3.1.

I suspect, however, that arguing any further would not bring any benefit nor closure to neither of us, so let's agree to disagree, shall we?

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
Although Apple should still feel ashamed about Lion's scrollbars.

What's the problem with Lion's scroll bars. I think they are a big improvement nice and subtle. Did you prefer the 3D jelly bean scroll bars?

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
What's the problem with Lion's scroll bars. I think they are a big improvement nice and subtle. Did you prefer the 3D jelly bean scroll bars?

The new scrollbars are harder to hit, but worse, they have no arrow buttons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.