Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:08 AM   #1
giladal
macrumors newbie

Java issue with 10.7.5 update

Hey Guys.

The latest update 10.7.5 removes the Java Preferences App in the Utilities folder. Now how am I supposed to set the 32bit option to the first priority? Why do that? Why not warn of it in the description of the update??

Anyone?
giladal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by giladal View Post
Hey Guys.

The latest update 10.7.5 removes the Java Preferences App in the Utilities folder. Now how am I supposed to set the 32bit option to the first priority? Why do that? Why not warn of it in the description of the update??

Anyone?
I don't think it was 10.7.5 that did that to you, it was an Apple Java update afterward that did it and the Java Pref removal was mentioned in the notes.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:49 AM   #3
SidGabriel
macrumors newbie

How do we set 32-bit default now?

He has a valid question. Locking the java plugin at 64-bit is silly and does nothing for security. If Apple was interested in security they wouldn't make a second class citizen of Java and Flash. It is in the creation of the second class that gave rise to the first OSX virus. Which posed as a Flash installer and utilized a Java security flaw that had already been patched in the non-apple version of Java. The security problem with Java isn't Java or Flash, it's cultural and Apple should return to a culture of everything being awesome and no black sheep. It is absolutely ridiculous for them to remove the Java Preferences App without moving the functions to System Preferences or at least the Safari preferences. It's got to be somewhere. I just need to set the default mode to 32 bit. Any help would be appreciated.
SidGabriel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:50 AM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGabriel View Post
He has a valid question. Locking the java plugin at 64-bit is silly and does nothing for security. If Apple was interested in security they wouldn't make a second class citizen of Java and Flash. It is in the creation of the second class that gave rise to the first OSX virus. Which posed as a Flash installer and utilized a Java security flaw that had already been patched in the non-apple version of Java.
There has never been a Mac OS X virus in the wild. Flashback is a trojan, not a virus. Mac Virus/Malware FAQ
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:35 AM   #5
Plymouthbreezer
macrumors 601

Any resolution to this...?

I'm facing similar issues of my Mac mini after installing the Java Update. Java is not working on certain websites at all.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:39 PM   #6
SilverCrush22
macrumors newbie

Any solutions??

I just updated to 10.7.5 and cannot figure out what wrong with java... any answers?
SilverCrush22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X