Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exfordy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Genius Bar have told me my 2006 MacBook Pro needs a new hard disc (It won't start). I think it is 120GB (Can't remember!)
Where would you recommend me to go to get this done? I live is SE Essex.
Is this something I could do easily myself? If so where would you recommend me to get the drive?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
This is very easy to do. You just need a SATA laptop size 2.5" hard drive that is no taller then 9.5mm. You can get one for less then 100 pounds that will out preform your current one. Some good sites include Amazon and NewEgg.

Nov 28, 2010
located
As PPCC said, it is easy to do and you can get any 2.5" S-ATA HDD with a maximum height of 9.5 mm.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
  • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
  • 1. Getting a new HDD
  • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
  • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
  • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
The 2006 Macbook pro isn't the easiest thing to repair. Your best bet is to take it to someone who will install a hard drive for you. Apple will charge you an arm and a leg for it, but it will come out safe and sound. Maybe a best buy like store would do it, too.

But so you know, it's not a trivial task to upgrade like it is on a Windows computer.

exfordy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Those step by step instructions look easy enough for even me to follow. Thanks.
(Apple Genius Bar booked it in with "MACHINE IS VINTAGE AND CANNOT RECEIVE HARDWARE REPAIRS"!)
They gave me some Apple repairers' contacts and I have asked for quotes but it really looks like I can do it myself.
When it is done I am going to sell it so I don't need a big capacity drive.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I do love my G4 machines.

I know, and the G4 iBook I had was the best Mac I ever had, even better than the Intel iMac, Intel MacBook and Intel MacBook Pros. Maybe if I had a G4 PowerBook I would think differently, but then again, a kernel panic awaits me anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.