Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jordan.1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
I have just brought a new samsung smart tv. (the 6800)

I only own a mac and not a PC and have a problem as i have large movie files i want to put on my USB stick to put onto my TV to watch them on.

But i don't know what format to have the USB stick as my movie files are around 10GB each and if the USB stick is formatted to ms-dos it wont let me go over 4GB and the TV doesnt seem to read ExFat.

Is their anyway around this guys?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have just brought a new samsung smart tv. (the 6800)

I only own a mac and not a PC and have a problem as i have large movie files i want to put on my USB stick to put onto my TV to watch them on.

But i don't know what format to have the USB stick as my movie files are around 10GB each and if the USB stick is formatted to ms-dos it wont let me go over 4GB and the TV doesnt seem to read ExFat.

Is their anyway around this guys?
You might try NTFS.

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
    • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon ($19.95) (Best Choice for Lion and Mountain Lion)
    • For Mac OS X 10.5 and later, including Lion, FUSE for OS X
    • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
    • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
    • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36), which is an enhanced version of NTFS-3G with faster performance.
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and later versions, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
  • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

jordan.1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
thanks guys

Im going to try the NTFS-3G program out 1st and if no success then i'll have to use handbrake.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

digitalcurious

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2009
Compression regression..

Hello. NTFS works fine on my Samsung TV, using the Paragon for Mac program. HOWEVER, I recently bought a very small (physical size) USB 3.0 16Gb from Kingston and it will only let me format in 'NTFS (compressed)' and when I format and put files on the TV fails to recognise it. Why can't I format in regular NTFS like my full size 4 & 8GB USBs? I need the 16GB USB to watch some 1080 films. Any help?

Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hello. NTFS works fine on my Samsung TV, using the Paragon for Mac program. HOWEVER, I recently bought a very small (physical size) USB 3.0 16Gb from Kingston and it will only let me format in 'NTFS (compressed)' and when I format and put files on the TV fails to recognise it. Why can't I format in regular NTFS like my full size 4 & 8GB USBs? I need the 16GB USB to watch some 1080 films. Any help?
You should be able to format any USB drive in any format. If it doesn't work, I would return it for another model.

As to what formats your TV will support, that is model-specific, so check the specifications for your model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.