Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brat42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Hi all,

I have exhausted all online resources and have to now resort to submitting a thread myself. I have an iPhone 4 and about a month ago, the phone went into the washing machine. Went into rice for a week, replaced the battery and all good for two weeks where everything was working. Then the screen starts to go.

So, I order a replacement digitizer and screen. First one doesn't work. Second one does. All good. Replaced everything exactly how it originally was which took me several hours.

Everything is now working and I mean everything except for one thing - the loudspeaker (bottom speaker). Headphones work and the top speaker works with ringtones etc. The phone does not think it is in headphone mode – the phone does not seem to be detecting the internal speakers, resulting in no music being played, for example. The volume up and down buttons result in it saying “Ringer” but you cannot see what volume level you are on. When I am playing music,

I thought I would replace the speaker/microphone casing at the bottom of the phone to resolve the issue but no luck four hours later trying all sorts of things, including factory restore and checking the settings to see if the volume is on zero. Double tapping the home button and swiping to the left to view the volume control results in no volume bar showing when attempting to use the phone’s speakers but the usual volume bare does appear when headphones are connected.

The microphone does work, strangely. The speakers stopped working after the screen replacement.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should try next?

Thank you very much.

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
Hi all,

I have exhausted all online resources and have to now resort to submitting a thread myself. I have an iPhone 4 and about a month ago, the phone went into the washing machine. Went into rice for a week, replaced the battery and all good for two weeks where everything was working. Then the screen starts to go.

So, I order a replacement digitizer and screen. First one doesn't work. Second one does. All good. Replaced everything exactly how it originally was which took me several hours.

Everything is now working and I mean everything except for one thing - the loudspeaker (bottom speaker). Headphones work and the top speaker works with ringtones etc. The phone does not think it is in headphone mode – the phone does not seem to be detecting the internal speakers, resulting in no music being played, for example. The volume up and down buttons result in it saying “Ringer” but you cannot see what volume level you are on. When I am playing music,

I thought I would replace the speaker/microphone casing at the bottom of the phone to resolve the issue but no luck four hours later trying all sorts of things, including factory restore and checking the settings to see if the volume is on zero. Double tapping the home button and swiping to the left to view the volume control results in no volume bar showing when attempting to use the phone’s speakers but the usual volume bare does appear when headphones are connected.

The microphone does work, strangely. The speakers stopped working after the screen replacement.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should try next?

Thank you very much.

I'm having similar problems- did u find a fix?

brat42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Unfortunately no fix and I replaced the dock connector which did not solve the issue. Still finding a solution but tempted to get rid of the phone and move on and save my time!

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
Unfortunately no fix and I replaced the dock connector which did not solve the issue. Still finding a solution but tempted to get rid of the phone and move on and save my time!

Did u replace the dock connector yourself, if so where did u buy it? How much?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.