Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GP20

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Tomorrow is my last day to purchase AppleCare+ for my white iPhone 5. I've read that some people have been able to get partial /pro-rated refunds a year after they've owned their iPhones when they resell them or upgrade to new iPhones.

Now my question is - can I get pro-rated refunds after only a few months of purchasing applecare+? The reason being that I still prefer a black iPhone 5 over a white. I got a black on launch day, badly scuffed out of box, and exchanged it for a flawless white the next day. I will have another black iPhone 5 delivered in November, and if that one still shows up all scuffed / scratched, I'll be convinced to just forget about black altogether.

Now if the new black shows up in good condition and has no sign of flawed anodized coating, I will want to keep that one and re-sell the white one I now have.

Dstopsie

macrumors 68010
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
Tomorrow is my last day to purchase AppleCare+ for my white iPhone 5. I've read that some people have been able to get partial /pro-rated refunds a year after they've owned their iPhones when they resell them or upgrade to new iPhones.

Now my question is - can I get pro-rated refunds after only a few months of purchasing applecare+? The reason being that I still prefer a black iPhone 5 over a white. I got a black on launch day, badly scuffed out of box, and exchanged it for a flawless white the next day. I will have another black iPhone 5 delivered in November, and if that one still shows up all scuffed / scratched, I'll be convinced to just forget about black altogether.

Now if the new black shows up in good condition and has no sign of flawed anodized coating, I will want to keep that one and re-sell the white one I now have.

Yes you can get it refunded. All you do is call AppleCare to request a refund. I did it for my 4s.

GP20

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Yes you can get it refunded. All you do is call AppleCare to request a refund. I did it for my 4s.

Thanks for the reply. May I ask how long after you purchased AppleCare+ did you request the refund? Did they charge you anything extra (processing fee, etc)?

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
you probably can but I can't say I recommend it. What if something happens to your phone like the second after you get rid of applecare+ lol

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
It'd be really unscrupulous to get a refund on AppleCare after you sell the phone.

And AppleCare can be transferred within the first 30 days of purchased between two of the same kind of devices.

A refund is prorated for time and work done. You may find you don't get an refund at all, but your AppleCare has already been canceled.

Dstopsie

macrumors 68010
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
Thanks for the reply. May I ask how long after you purchased AppleCare+ did you request the refund? Did they charge you anything extra (processing fee, etc)?

I requested the refund when I ordered my iphone 5. They prorated the amount left and did not charge any processing fees.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.