Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:20 PM   #1
eclipse
macrumors 6502a

Is Apple really dropping iWeb!?

Hi all,
If Apple is dropping iWeb, what WYSIWYG design package should we use? My wife is a graphic designer that took to iWeb like a duck to water. I helped her set up the host etc, and then she was away!

I don't really have the time to learn 4 languages! (HTML, CSS, php, Javascripts, etc).

But I was thinking that I use Wordpress.com for my blog, and it's not too hard. If I got a good Wordpress theme with a WYSIWYG plug in editor, I might be able to turn Wordpress into 'iWeb' (but better, because I can host it anywhere and have comments, unlike iWeb which wants to limit you to .mac accounts for comments to be enabled).

But then MAMP had trouble without the latest PhpMyAdmin, as I explained in another thread... and that busted that party.

Does anyone know how to install Wordpress on Mountain Lion without MAMP? This thread shows how on Lion, but it doesn't seem to work on Mountain Lion.
http://brettu.com/education-wordpres...p-on-osx-lion/

So does anyone recommend anything else for WYSIWYG? What about those self-designer things that most webhosts usually have these days? What about Expression Engine?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:35 AM   #2
blueroom
macrumors 603

Thought iWeb was long dead...

Consider a Synology NAS to run your Wordpress site if you want self hosting. Works like a charm and you get a Time Machine & much much more to boot.
blueroom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:39 AM   #3
eclipse
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Thought iWeb was long dead...

Consider a Synology NAS to run your Wordpress site if you want self hosting. Works like a charm and you get a Time Machine & much much more to boot.
Sorry, I might not have expressed myself very well. I'm not looking to actually self-host live, but will just pay a web-host for the site going live. I'm looking to edit Wordpress on a safe sandbox on my own computer until I get it just right. It's for site building, not site hosting.

Cheers.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:47 AM   #4
angelneo
macrumors 68000

Installing the packages individually is not a good idea unless you have an idea on how to use unix/linux commands.

For WYSIWYG editors, maybe one of the more popular ones like dreamweaver? I have long abandoned them ever since JS has become increasingly popular and important in development.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:49 AM   #5
golf1410
macrumors 6502a

Yes, it is dead. My friend.
golf1410 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:51 AM   #6
NVWebsites
macrumors newbie

You're going to want to use MAMP when you develop wordpress on your computer. PHP only renders through a 'server', even if it's local.

If you have graphic skills it will really be beneficial to learn CSS; you can create a child theme in wordpress and overwrite the existing CSS in a brand new file creating custom themes/changes.

All the other functionality you can get in plugins.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:49 AM   #7
lucidmedia
macrumors 6502a

If you are lamenting iWeb you may want to look at Adobe Muse...
lucidmedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:07 AM   #8
waloshin
macrumors 68030

You will need php, MySQL, and Apache no getting around it.
waloshin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:44 AM   #9
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Why do you say it's dead? It opens on my computer running Mountain Lion (10.8.2) just fine.

I'm not a professional by any means, but I have three different methods I use right now for making/hosting my websites:

1 - iWeb still works, even if Apple won't host the websites for you anymore. I have iWeb set up to upload the contents of my website to Comcast (they include web hosting in several (all?) of their internet packages.) I have a domain set up to just redirect to the Comcast page.

2 - I use Google Sites. The graphical editor isn't as friendly as Apple's, but it's still pretty easy to use.

3 - Learning those languages is actually pretty trivial. I think I went from knowing nothing about Javascript to knowing enough to make the interactive website that I wanted within 20 hours. I suggest checking out the tutorials/lessons here, if you decide you want to learn:

http://www.w3schools.com
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:07 AM   #10
eclipse
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidmedia View Post
If you are lamenting iWeb you may want to look at Adobe Muse...
This looks great, but they charge a subscription price, not a one off fee. Over a few years we'd end up paying some serious money, just for our own brochure website! Instead, we are thinking of Freeway, Rapidweaver, Sandvox or Flux? (Please contribute to that thread if you have any comparisons to make on these 4 programs.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:29 AM   #11
Vandefilm
macrumors regular

Why did apple drop iWeb? It's such an easy to use app.
Vandefilm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:50 PM   #12
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
This looks great, but they charge a subscription price, not a one off fee. Over a few years we'd end up paying some serious money, just for our own brochure website! Instead, we are thinking of Freeway, Rapidweaver, Sandvox or Flux? (Please contribute to that thread if you have any comparisons to make on these 4 programs.
I've used Freeway to do several websites that would fall under the description of "our own brochure website".......it certainly did the job.
Macky-Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:55 PM   #13
SamuraiArtGuy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandefilm View Post
Why did apple drop iWeb? It's such an easy to use app.
Becuase Appple is not interested in that market segment any more. They just aren't. Personal websites have drifted to things like Tumblr, Wordpress, Blogger and the free web creation options on many hosting services. And the professional side is served by a spectrum of solutions that Apple has no interest in competing with.
SamuraiArtGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development