Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxcysxx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
just a thought folks,
if for some reason apple decide to refuse to swap the screen because of dead pixels or image retention or any other screen issues, why cant you just get another retina machine and swap the screen and return the new system with the bad screen back to them for a refund?
i mean ifixit got instructions on how to remove the screen and it doesn't look so hard.

or do they have some kind of special marking imprinted on the screen casing and main casing that make them uniquely identifiable together?

just a thought incase someone out there got unlucky with a screen and cant get it resolved with apple.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
just a thought folks,
if for some reason apple decide to refuse to swap the screen because of dead pixels or image retention or any other screen issues, why cant you just get another retina machine and swap the screen and return the new system with the bad screen back to them for a refund?
i mean ifixit got instructions on how to remove the screen and it doesn't look so hard.

or do they have some kind of special marking imprinted on the screen casing and main casing that make them uniquely identifiable together?

just a thought incase someone out there got unlucky with a screen and cant get it resolved with apple.

Parts are serialized. That said I guess Apple won't know, but that's going through a lot of trouble what isn't even a serious issue.

xxcysxx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Parts are serialized.

where on the screen assembly is a serial marking. there's only so many possible surfaces it could be, the back aluminum cover with the apple logo, the front glass cover where the lcd is, and the plastic cover that run along the bottom covering from one hinge to the other. i don't see anything that resemble a serial marking. perhaps inside the screen assembly, but i thought the screen assembly is undismantlable.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
where on the screen assembly is a serial marking. there's only so many possible surfaces it could be, the back aluminum cover with the apple logo, the front glass cover where the lcd is, and the plastic cover that run along the bottom covering from one hinge to the other.

I don't know if all the parts are serialized, but I do agree with the other poster in that it would be a huge unnecessary hassle. If you can't get Apple to repair or replace the screen then you are either speaking to them wrong, or speaking to the wrong person (assuming you have a legitimate issue).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.