Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Sep 2, 2005, 06:33 PM   #1
geese
macrumors 6502a

Trying to share files between eMac and iBoook via Wi-fi

Bear with me if this has been asked many times, but I'm trying to share folders with my sisters iBook.

Network set-up:

1 eMac (running Panther) connected to a Linksys Wireless router via ethernet

1 iBook (running Tiger) connected via the aforementioned Linksys router. It connects to the internet fine.

Basically, even though I've enabled folders on both computers, they wont see each other. On the iBook, if I goto Go> Network- nothing happens. So I goto Go> Connect to Server, and type in the afp server name. It'll spend a while trying to connect to the server, but it always fails.

Please help, as I am a bit useless with networking.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 08:59 PM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

In the System Preferences, is AppleTalk turned on (under Network) and also, under the Sharing tab, I find it works better with FTP Access turned off for some reason.

Oh, and do you have a third party software firewall turned on?
Old Sep 2, 2005, 10:29 PM   #3
neocell
macrumors 65816

If you're in the same house, I find it easiest to create your own WiFi network by clicking on the airport tab in the menu bar then Create Network, put in a name, make sure Personal File Sharing is on in system preferences and then connect using the other computer (click on air port icon in menu bar and select name you created). If you're at different ends of the country do as mad jew suggested.
neocell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 10:33 PM   #4
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by neocell
If you're in the same house, I find it easiest to create your own WiFi network by clicking on the airport tab in the menu bar then Create Network

Doesn't that just make an ad-hoc network though? Would it go through the router? I would have thought, since they're on the same wireless network anyway, this wouldn't be necessary but I could very well be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neocell
If you're at different ends of the country do as mad jew suggested.

Linksys routers are good, but not that good.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 10:46 PM   #5
beatle888
Banned

you did the whole system preferences > sharing > personal file sharing thing?
beatle888 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 10:56 PM   #6
neocell
macrumors 65816

Me Dumb, didn't read too good.
I've had problems trying to access files when I go through my router, it's a piece of crap though. So yes it is just an ad hoc network, about 5 times faster data transfer than through the SpeedStream that I have.

I'm just more accustomed to this, since I had the two computers (PB and iMac) for quite a while before getting high speed and a router.

Well, works for me at least, though I have to set it up each time that I want to transfer files that are too large for bluetooth or my key

***EDIT***
I had to set up a home network with the software that came with the router in order to file sharing and internet access, and it was not user friendly.

Apple fix:
When you set personal file sharing you should get a URL address "afp://blahblahblah" coming up at the bottom of the Personal File Sharing window. Try putting that in the URL window in Safari of the other computer and it "should" see the first computer.

***2nd EDIT***
Made things a bit clearer Crap image what the first edit was like

Last edited by neocell; Sep 2, 2005 at 11:14 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:05 PM   #7
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

It's certainly an option neocell but if the router's even half decent, it's much easier to use 'normal' networking as opposed to ad-hoc. It's a more permanent solution.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:09 PM   #8
neocell
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad jew
It's certainly an option neocell but if the router's even half decent, it's much easier to use 'normal' networking as opposed to ad-hoc. It's a more permanent solution.
Yeah, I hear yah. I just put an edit up to hopefully figure this out
Old Sep 3, 2005, 11:40 AM   #9
geese
macrumors 6502a

OK.....

I've turned Personal File Sharing on both machines. I go into Go> Network on the eMac. It sees the iBook. I double click on the iBook in the Network window. It asks me which 'which volume you'd like to mount'. These reflect the log-in accounts on the iBook. I choose the one I want. Then nothing. I cant see anyway of access the iBook.

Its not on the desktop, nor is it in the Network window. (i've turned appletalk on both machines- no difference)

Doing the same thing on the iBook- is sees the eMac. It attempts to connect. I give it a while, but it always says that the 'server has failed to connect'.

Also, to the person who mentioned it, there isnt an airport tab on the eMac (no airport card). I've tried too do 'create network' on the airport tab, but didnt work.

Firewall- I use the hardware firewall on the router. I tried switching it off, but it made no difference.

Help me. sob.
Old Sep 3, 2005, 12:01 PM   #10
geese
macrumors 6502a

UPDATE: I can access the 'drop box' on the iBook from the eMac. Thats one-way sharing now!
Old Sep 3, 2005, 02:10 PM   #11
neocell
macrumors 65816

have you tried using the afp:// address that comes up at the bottom of the system prefs window in Safari of the other machine? If this still doesn't work I'd try calling the router support guys and explain the situation to them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	15
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	29658  

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs