Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the.omnibus

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
So something is going wrong with my Mac's boot drive. I'm not sure if the hard drive is failing, or if maybe there is a corrupted file somewhere, but every few weeks, my computer will start to freeze and if I try to reboot, it won't find the disk. The first few times, I took it to the Apple store, where they wiped the disk and clean-installed snow leopard. I downloaded the app store, then downloaded Lion, then migrated my data back over from my time machine backup (which was also a huge pain in the rear because that file was corrupted and the sparsebundle wouldn't mount; story of my life). This takes a massive amount of time and I'm really starting to get tired of doing this.

This time, I was able to boot my drive using a friend's install DVD and tried to repair the disk. Disk Utility told me that the hard drive couldn't be repaired, but I looked online and found a terminal prompt (here) that allowed me to repair the disk and boot again.

So I know this will probably happen again, but like I said, I am not sure if the issue is the drive or a corrupted file. I tried to make a cloned version of the boot drive using SuperDuper! but was given an error message on a certain file that I can't find with finder. I have tried to clone the drive multiple times and each time it gets stuck on the same file.

Should I get a new hard drive and copy my data over from the Time Capsule, or will this just copy the same corrupted files that caused the problem in the first place?

Eventually, I want to get to a point where I have a stable boot disk on my internal hard drive, incremental backups on the Time Capsule and a SuperDuper! bootable backup on another external drive. Also, the computer I'm using is getting pretty old: its a 2008 White MacBook. Is it even worth getting a new hard drive? I'm entering into a college program that's design and programming heavy, so I'm tempted to just throw the piece of junk out a window.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The fact Disk Utility keeps finding errors, coupled with the fact even an OS install (Lion) did not fix it... points to a bad drive. I would replace it now before it dies altogether and you lose data.

How much data do you have on the machine including the OS and everything? If you do not have large storage needs, upgrading to a SSD drive would really be a nice performance improvement on that machine and allow you to get more time out of it. You can get a Samsung 830 SSD 128GB for $119.

the.omnibus

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Unfortunately I have around 350 GB of stuff, although I would really like to narrow that down to under 250 so I can get a cheaper SSD.

How can I backup the data so the corrupted files won't be transferred over to the other drive? When I try to do a SuperDuper backup, it always finds a random corrupted file that can't be transferred so it isn't as easy as just finding the file and deleting it before I make the final backup.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Unfortunately I have around 350 GB of stuff, although I would really like to narrow that down to under 250 so I can get a cheaper SSD.

How can I backup the data so the corrupted files won't be transferred over to the other drive? When I try to do a SuperDuper backup, it always finds a random corrupted file that can't be transferred so it isn't as easy as just finding the file and deleting it before I make the final backup.

Unfortunately, there is no good answer to this. All you can do is make the backup and hope for the best. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.