Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StinkyDonk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Anyway, i have my iPod hooked up to my cars head unit (Alpine CDE-126BT). If i hit the top 25 tracks, then it's totally different to the top 25 most played that iTunes states.

For e.g., the track that is #1 through the head unit is only like 4th place when i sync with iTunes & it's a good few plays from being the most played track. It USED to be the most played aaaaages ago, but not now, yet my head unit doesn't seem to recognize this.

Any ideas why it'#s like this?

luckilycarolyn

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
It's probably because the top 25 songs you listen to on your iPod and on your iTunes are probably different. I had the same thing happen with my iPod before its death...the top 25 songs I liked to listen to on my iPod were a lot different because I like to listen to my iPod when I work out, or need a pump up jam, etc, whereas with my iTunes, my top 25 was more just music I like to listen to when studying, or need for my classes.
I'm pretty sure both are smart playlists generated by each entity seperately. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the iPod generates it by the iPod playcounts, not the iTunes playcounts.

StinkyDonk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
No, it's not like that.

I don't use iTunes to listen to music - therefore i'm racking up no list as such.

If i connect my iPod to my head unit, i get 1 sort of "top 25"

If i plug the exact same iPod into my PC & fire up iTunes, then when i look at the iPod's list of tracks, & sort by most played, the top 25 is similar, but not the same ... for example, what was #3 in the car is now #1 when connected to iTunes & is #1 by quite some distance.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
it is most likely that the headunit is not playing them in order of play count but in some other order. Maybe artist or track name? if they are listed properly in iTunes then it is a headunit software issue.

Jzo

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
Try turning off "live updating" in the playlist settings. Worked for me when my most played songs didn't match up on all devices etc.

StinkyDonk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
it is most likely that the headunit is not playing them in order of play count but in some other order. Maybe artist or track name? if they are listed properly in iTunes then it is a headunit software issue.
Can't be as the playlist selected is the "top 25 most played songs".

I will check whether playing the actual iPod itself is the same as the headunit or not & come back here to report.
Try turning off "live updating" in the playlist settings. Worked for me when my most played songs didn't match up on all devices etc.
What's live updating?

For the record, i have an iPod Nano 4G.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
What do you mean cant be? My current Alpine plays them in alphabetical order not matter what order they are on the iPhone or iPod. Its the way the head units software is set up that determins the play order.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.