Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:11 PM   #26
anom
macrumors newbie

I had my iPhone 4 for about a year and a half and one day I pulled it out of my pocket (front pocket, nothing else in the pocket) and it had a hairline crack from the top to the bottom. It does happen, not sure what caused it, but it definitely wasn't from a drop.
anom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:25 PM   #27
BlueGummiBear
macrumors 6502a

Location: Bouncing here, bouncing there, bouncing everywhere!
I've seen glass break on it's own from heat. I live in AZ and it happens all the time here to cars windshields when they get really hot and then cool down too fast. Could be what happened to your iPhone. Did it get really hot by chance?
BlueGummiBear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:56 PM   #28
travo112
macrumors newbie

I have had this happen on a 3gs after it overheated... just saying.
travo112 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:45 AM   #29
ode2joy
macrumors member

Have you tried this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scotch-Jet-B...item2ec2a3b5eb
ode2joy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:54 AM   #30
VandyChem2009
Banned

I'm pretty sure this whole story is nothing but a lie.
VandyChem2009 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:54 AM   #31
brj
macrumors newbie

hairline fracture with no evidence of damage is covered
brj is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:04 PM   #32
Oscarnl
macrumors newbie

This also recently happened to me. A random chip under my home button appeared about a week ago while the phone was in my hand. I know it did not fall that day or some time before. Although, I did drop it a month ago but that crack didn't come from that long ago. Now I'm worried that if those little pieces of glass fall, my home button will stop working!
Oscarnl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:15 PM   #33
DoNoHarm
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHeartapple2 View Post
Screens do not crack on their own. That's all I'm going to say.
heat causes the glass to expand. subsequent rapid cooling can cause cracks to form if the glass has impurities that have a different coefficient of thermal expansion. The atoms act like two cars going different speeds on the freeway.
DoNoHarm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:24 AM   #34
jeffinseattle
macrumors newbie

My screen cracked (iPhone5) in my hands....NOT KIDDING!

had an iPhone 3g and replaced it with a 5 on the 15th...it's now the 24th (9days). I woke up around 5am and picked up my phone off my nightstand. I layed in bed and surfed the Internet and then heard this little pop sound. I didn't think anything of it until about 20 minutes later I noticed a hairline fracture in the screen.

It's only a hairline fracture and I bought the apple care but I'm like WTF! I have found one other post like this. They said defective glass and the guy said apple replaced it. I bought this at ATT. I guess I'll go back there. BTW, it's a white one.
jeffinseattle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:14 AM   #35
damie45
macrumors newbie

What I've noticed on these forums, is that as soon as someone report a problem w their product, there r a number of people that will accuse them of lying. I like apple products, but I'm not going to accuse someone of lying just because my product is working fine. Sometimes I think these people r hired by the manufacturers. I see the same on almost every forum I visits, which r mainly tech and car forums.
damie45 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:15 AM   #36
techluvr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjw View Post
Apple is the nicest company out there with regards to tech returns.

Sometimes they'll replace a phone that people ADMIT to dropping just because they are in that mood. Sometimes they insist on the $229.
Seconding this. I dropped my iPhone 3G back in its day and the screen broke - not cracked, it just went all white. Touch still worked (slide to unlock click, etc), you just couldn't see what it was displaying. Took it in, was honest, got a new phone. Didn't expect to succeed!
techluvr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:40 AM   #37
saberahul
macrumors 68040

Maybe you sat on it… I sat on my iPad yesterday but got up the second I realized it was there.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:48 AM   #38
SchuettS
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHeartapple2 View Post
Screens do not crack on their own. That's all I'm going to say.
Hyundai is recalling 13,500 Velosters because there have been cases of the sunroofs randomly shattering/exploding. Hyundai is saying that the robots used to manufacture them could have came in contact with the sunroofs during installation.

Youre right, screens do not crack on their own but it doesnt mean the person was at fault. That's all I'm going to say.
SchuettS is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:25 AM   #39
BigMcGuire
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimee.elizabeth View Post
Thank you all so much for your confidence, but I went back to the apple store and the guy didn't even hesitate in replacing my phone after he saw the crack he called it a fine line fracture or something of the sort. Good to know that you guys here on the forums are so willing to believe in the worst of people. Maybe you had bad luck when dealing with Apple but I've had great luck and they seem to really care so I'm happy now that I have a new phone, and you guys can take your negativity to another person's thread who is merely trying to seek advice.
It's pretty common around here dude. Welcome to one of the most hostile mobile phone forums I know on the internet. Can you say stuck up ****s? You learn really quickly that the product is 100% perfect and if you even hit otherwise you're a dumb **** and if Steve Jobs didn't think of it, it isn't needed.

Really happy you found a genius to replace your phone. The geniuses around my parent's house are pretty awesome as well. Hope you have a Merry Christmas
BigMcGuire is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:13 PM   #40
mrsFAB
macrumors newbie

Angry It Does Happen

I came across this thread by googling "iPhone 5 screen cracks without dropping." Today, my iphone 5 has a case on it. AND it was in another pouch... So double protection. AND the pouch was in my purse. I took the pouch out of my purse when I got to my car. I took the phone out of the pouch and there is a hairline crack in the upper right corner. It's diagonal. I did not drop it or anything. I am sooooooo mad right now. I made a Genius Bar appointment for New Year's Day. I'm trying to decide if I even want to deal with one of their refurbs or just pay for the screen to be fixed. My phone works great and has had no issues. I'm so bummed...
mrsFAB is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:16 PM   #41
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
. Good to know that you guys here on the forums are so willing to believe in the worst of people.
What fantasy land do you live in? I live in a world where a woman gang raped in India was told by the police to marry one of her attackers and a kid walks into a school and shoots 20 other kids.

Look at any "apple sent me an extra iphone for free" threads and see all the MR vultures that prey on others in their life and will gladly take something they didn't pay for and not think twice about it. Of course we believe in the worst of people because the majority of humans are scum that will take advantage of a stiuation to suit their needs.

Oh and to the point.... glad you got it replaced for free but most likely you did something to your phone to crack it whether you knew you did it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchuettS View Post
Youre right, screens do not crack on their own but it doesnt mean the person was at fault. That's all I'm going to say.
You're comparing a sunroof.... something that is much larger, secured in a much different way, has way different stresses placed upon it to the glass in a cell phone...... yeah, ok.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	apples-and-oranges1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	386863  

Last edited by AFDoc; Dec 30, 2012 at 09:33 PM.
AFDoc is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:33 PM   #42
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsFAB View Post
I came across this thread by googling "iPhone 5 screen cracks without dropping." Today, my iphone 5 has a case on it. AND it was in another pouch... So double protection. AND the pouch was in my purse. I took the pouch out of my purse when I got to my car. I took the phone out of the pouch and there is a hairline crack in the upper right corner. It's diagonal. I did not drop it or anything. I am sooooooo mad right now. I made a Genius Bar appointment for New Year's Day. I'm trying to decide if I even want to deal with one of their refurbs or just pay for the screen to be fixed. My phone works great and has had no issues. I'm so bummed...
If you're an attractive young woman, it's very likely you'll get a replacement for free... With all of the geniuses phone numbers loaded into it already.

Seriously, geniuses are usually more inclined to give attractive young female customers what they want for no charge.

If you're not attractive, be prepared to pay up because there's no chance they'll believe you.
AlphaDogg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:44 PM   #43
Brandon0448
macrumors regular

I smell a troll. Smells the same as the spontaneous bending iPhone threads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1331962023341.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	386867  
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:53 AM   #44
mrsFAB
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg View Post
If you're an attractive young woman, it's very likely you'll get a replacement for free... With all of the geniuses phone numbers loaded into it already.

Seriously, geniuses are usually more inclined to give attractive young female customers what they want for no charge.

If you're not attractive, be prepared to pay up because there's no chance they'll believe you.
Ha-ha! Funny. I've always been treated right at Apple. But it's the fact that I did not drop it that had me puzzled. I treat my phone like a small child. Handling it with the best of care. And I've only had it for a month! I hope they will replace my screen. I want to keep my original phone. We'll see...
mrsFAB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:11 AM   #45
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Ha-ha! Funny. I've always been treated right at Apple. But it's the fact that I did not drop it that had me puzzled. I treat my phone like a small child. Handling it with the best of care. And I've only had it for a month! I hope they will replace my screen. I want to keep my original phone. We'll see...
I was being serious. Also they won't replace the screen, they'll replace the phone...
AlphaDogg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:15 AM   #46
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg View Post

There's absolutely no proof to this crud you're peddling kid. I've known more men than women who have gotten a free replacement and the women are indeed young and attractive.

OP, just get it replaced but know that phones don't typically crack without pressure.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:18 AM   #47
Oui
Banned

Quote:
I'm calling BS.
Oui is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:22 AM   #48
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
I didn't drop it because the bezel and the chamfered edge around there are absolutely perfect, not even a scratch or nick. And there's no way that i could have dropped it without damaging the bezel or the chamfered edge or the side/corner of the phone.
Faulty reasoning. You may not recall dropping it but it's certainly possible for the screen to crack without scratching or nicking the chamfered edge, bezel, or side.

Quote:
Anyone have any suggestions or past experiences with this sort of thing? Do you think I can get a replacement or screen replacement?
This is precisely what insurance and Applecare+ are for. If you don't have either then pay up for repair or deal with the crack.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:10 AM   #49
Rocko1
macrumors 68000

Love the naysayers who will argue you to the death that you are 100% at fault for all issues with their beloved iPhone. Their voids must be deep and wide.
Rocko1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:15 AM   #50
Mrg02d
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
There's absolutely no proof to this crud you're peddling kid. I've known more men than women who have gotten a free replacement and the women are indeed young and attractive.

OP, just get it replaced but know that phones don't typically crack without pressure.
Yea, I dressed like a young girl and got thrown out of an apple store.
Mrg02d is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone