Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
My HD says it has 60+GB of movies but If they're still on the HD I don't know where they are. Here's what I'm doing. I'm ripping a lot of DVD's and putting them in iTunes.My iTunes folder is located on my external HD. After ripping the DVD I put it in iTunes and delete the original file(which was on my desktop) and after a bit empty the trash. I have looked in the iTunes folder on my Air's HD and the movies are not located there...they are in fact located on my external HD. Why is my memory not clearing out the movies?

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
What software are you using to rip the dvds? Maybe they are leaving temp files behind, created during the ripping process?

handbrake

----------

where can I find temp files? or better yet,clear them?

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Disk x looks good but I don't know if it helped me...
Looks like the movies are not showing in Disk x

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-22 at 2.27.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-22 at 2.27.15 PM.png
    529.1 KB · Views: 130

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Go to your Documents folder in Finder, and then use the search box at the top right. Enter a space.

This will bring up Search: This Mac and "Documents". You'll want to select "This Mac" and click the + next to Save.

It'll bring up another menu. "Kind" is "Any", and you'll watch to change "Any" to "Movie".

It should pop up every single movie related file in the drive, whether it be AVI, MP4, M4V, MOV, MPG, etc.

And then you can select it and it'll give you the path to where it is, which is where the other ones could be too if it has anything to do with Handbrake temp files.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Didn't you see that your Document folder is over 26 GB? That's a lot. I'm sure you can remove some of that stuff.

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Didn't you see that your Document folder is over 26 GB? That's a lot. I'm sure you can remove some of that stuff.

Yes I saw that but when I click the documents folder they're not there. The whole folder is only 32MB.

----------

Go to your Documents folder in Finder, and then use the search box at the top right. Enter a space.

This will bring up Search: This Mac and "Documents". You'll want to select "This Mac" and click the + next to Save.

It'll bring up another menu. "Kind" is "Any", and you'll watch to change "Any" to "Movie".

It should pop up every single movie related file in the drive, whether it be AVI, MP4, M4V, MOV, MPG, etc.

And then you can select it and it'll give you the path to where it is, which is where the other ones could be too if it has anything to do with Handbrake temp files.
When I do this (with my hard drives disconnected lol) it comes up empty.

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
right now I have 33.96GB of movies in a folder that I am currently working on...no idea where the rest are...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-31 at 7.01.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-31 at 7.01.16 AM.png
    505.8 KB · Views: 85
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.