Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soldierblue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
This is something I've noticed since I updated it to iOS6. A few times a session, scrolling will be jittery for anywhere between 1 and 3 seconds before is smooths back up. It doesn't seem to be app specific, I see it in Safari, Facebook and XfinityTV. I've done a restore (as a new device), too.

Anyone else seeing this? I assume it's an iOS6 thing, but I haven't seen anything on it.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Its weird because I experience the odd scrolling issues on my iPad 3 and iPhone 5 but NOT on my iPad 2. So maybe its retina related?

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I have exactly the same issue, I have an iPad 3. Its very annoying. i have noticed it in games sometimes (rarely) mostly however its in Safari (also Facebook, Twitter). Worked perfectly on Ios 5.1! I really hope they fix it.

I have reset my settings, reset Ipad, set up as a new Ipad and nothing has fixed it.

Asperities

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
I had the same issues with my Verizon 64 model. In addition I had barely functioning multi touch gesturing. I had originally downloaded the 6.0 update ota. That proved to be a misery. I then plugged in the ipad, and set it up as new. No real improvement. After a week or two of it getting worse, including battery life, I decided to waste a few hours and first restored to an update from prior to my first iOS 6 upgrade (no it has no effect on the version), then I set yo the ipad as new. That proved to be the charm. Actually working better than ever, battery life, multi touch, temperature, all optimal. Of course, ymmv, and I can give no rationale explanation foe why the restore than set up as a new ipad worked.

JSalig

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
Well this is good to know. I was contemplating updating over the weekend. I think I'll just stick with 5 until I sell it. Other than Apple maps, I don't know what changes I'm missing.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Same jittery screen here in Safari. Comes and goes on different web pages. Tried rebooting and it still does it at times!

They used to scroll so smoothly!:eek:

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
iPad 2 here. Smooth 100% of the time. Only jitteriness I see is in App Store.

soldierblue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
I'm happy that Apple has a fix. I'm just not happy that it costs $500 and is a new iPad.

/s

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Well this is good to know. I was contemplating updating over the weekend. I think I'll just stick with 5 until I sell it. Other than Apple maps, I don't know what changes I'm missing.

That is exactly what I am doing. Having a lag free experience is more important to me than minor updates. I experienced great slow downs and lag when I updated my iPad 1, so when I got the 3 I decided to just keep it stock. So far I'm still happy.

My next purchase will likely be a mini, but I will probably skip this generation entirely.

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Yep beginning to wonder if its personal. I'm guessing they will fix it in 6.1. My 3 was awesome on 5.1

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Seriously? God.

yep been on the phone (still on now) with apple support for an hour. They have tested it remotely (all ok) tried everything. They have recommended i wipe it and don't put anything else on it, then test it for a day. if all is ok then its an app, if not its a duff unit (strange it happened on my 3 and 4) what worries me is they said it isn't a fault with IOS! and there are no plans to fix it...

i stated others have had the same issue and she didn't know what to say to that. Can't fault the customer service, i just hope i can find out whats causing the slow downs asap as its driving me mad, used to be so smooth (ipad 3 on 5.1.1)

Frocktar

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
Sorry to resurrect an older(ish) thread, but I'm still having these issues on the ipad 4 with latest os build. Are others still having is too?

I still have my old ipad 2, which I'm about to sell, and that does not and never has had any issues like this.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Sorry to resurrect an older(ish) thread, but I'm still having these issues on the ipad 4 with latest os build. Are others still having is too?

I still have my old ipad 2, which I'm about to sell, and that does not and never has had any issues like this.

Have iPad 3 on iOS 6, not having any issues.

Frocktar

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
It only does it sporadically, mainly on sites with a very long down page, like a blog or news site. Live-with-able, but still hope it gets fixed. It seems I'm not alone, despite your good fortune :)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
It only does it sporadically, mainly on sites with a very long down page, like a blog or news site. Live-with-able, but still hope it gets fixed. It seems I'm not alone, despite your good fortune :)

Could you perhaps post a link to a page where this happens? It might be that I never visit the problem sites.

Frocktar

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
http://Www.whatreallyhappened.com

This is the worst for it, but even then its not ll the time. As long as its not a problem with my specific ipad I can easily live with it though. Although I definitely never had the issue with the ipad 2. Maybe a retina thing as one one posted earlier.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Hmmmm. Well, the bottom of the screen tends to flicker as I scroll, but it doesn't disturb my reading the page -- the flickering settles down as soon as I stop scrolling. And if I'm scrolling at "reading speed" instead of trying to get quickly to another section of the page, it doesn't flicker at all.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I've been having this same issue ever since I got an iPad 4. For me it happens in anywhere there is scrolling but it only lasts a few seconds. Very sporadic. Makes me think there is some kind of bug that bogs down the processor every few minutes or something. Probably not worth mentioning to Apple at this point since engineers make you list an exact set of circumstances that these things happen. In this case there are none. It's random.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.