Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

missouri101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Hey guys, i'll try and be brief

so, someone broke into my girlfriends car, and stole my backpack which contained my 2008 Macbook. This happened a few days ago, and obviously I was pretty devastated.

However, after some quick googling I found out that I can actually track my Macbooks IP address through dropbox. I've been checking this non stop the last few days, and finally today I found that my Macbook had been accessed a few times today at a random IP.

I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me locate my macbook, and offer me any other tips for tracking it down. (it can be fun playing detective!). I was a member of this site a few years ago, and was blown away by the kindness offered by members, and so felt compelled to reregister again to seek all your help

thanks in advance, the IP is 64.134.173.239 (I will post again if this changes)

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
Hey guys, i'll try and be brief

so, someone broke into my girlfriends car, and stole my backpack which contained my 2008 Macbook. This happened a few days ago, and obviously I was pretty devastated.

However, after some quick googling I found out that I can actually track my Macbooks IP address through dropbox. I've been checking this non stop the last few days, and finally today I found that my Macbook had been accessed a few times today at a random IP.

I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me locate my macbook, and offer me any other tips for tracking it down. (it can be fun playing detective!). I was a member of this site a few years ago, and was blown away by the kindness offered by members, and so felt compelled to reregister again to seek all your help

thanks in advance, the IP is 64.134.173.239 (I will post again if this changes)

What about approaching the police with this? I'm assuming they can backtrace an ip in a criminal case, assuming this isn't a Starbucks you might be business.

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
Keep tracking it, you might get a break on a non-public ip address and then get the cops involved with the ip owner

missouri101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
thanks for the help, I am continuing to track it. The thief is still continuing to use it at the previously state public ip address, but hopefully he will move to a personal ip soon. I will keep you updated

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
thanks for the help, I am continuing to track it. The thief is still continuing to use it at the previously state public ip address, but hopefully he will move to a personal ip soon. I will keep you updated

If he's using the same spot regularly, maybe there's someone to talk to about refining finding him on that network? THe ip should resolve to a physical location at least

missouri101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
new ip

Hey guys, his IP address has finally changed,

it is now 174.125.81.196

this ip actually shows him being in the city i'm in - Columbia, Missouri. So i'm hoping this could be a bit of a breakthrough. Does anyone know how well I can track him using this? And would this new information be important enough to report to the police? I do already have a police case open....

thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.