Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alveezy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
Hawaii
I've had the Verizon iPhone 5 for 5 weeks now and all throughout yesterday to today, the Power/Lock/Sleep button doesn't work as good or has been unresponsive. i've tried using it with and without a case(i have the griffin reveal case). anyone else have this issue? what have you done to resolve it? shoot! hopefully i won't have to send it in for a replacement...i'm from hawaii but currently in california for 2 more days. if i get a chance to get to a nearest genius bar to have it checked, hell hopefully i get it fixed before i go back home.

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
same deal here. I went to drop by the apple store and the lady seemed to be trying to blow me off. She checked my app crashes since I got it, and there were some there. So she said it was a corrupt software issue and to restore. So, I went home and did. And now it's just as bad if not worse.

Taking it in today if I get time to get a replacement.

bezdaniel

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2007
I've had the Verizon iPhone 5 for 5 weeks now and all throughout yesterday to today, the Power/Lock/Sleep button doesn't work as good or has been unresponsive. i've tried using it with and without a case(i have the griffin reveal case). anyone else have this issue? what have you done to resolve it? shoot! hopefully i won't have to send it in for a replacement...i'm from hawaii but currently in california for 2 more days. if i get a chance to get to a nearest genius bar to have it checked, hell hopefully i get it fixed before i go back home.

I had a similar issue where the lock button would only work on the left side. Brought it into the apple store. The guy looked at it for about 2 seconds and said he would get me a new phone. 5 minutes later I was out of there.

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
I had a similar issue where the lock button would only work on the left side. Brought it into the apple store. The guy looked at it for about 2 seconds and said he would get me a new phone. 5 minutes later I was out of there.

exact same thing happened to me. Replaced it on the spot.

jp70

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
Palmdale, CA
Same

I had the same experience. I'd have to press it repeatedly to get it to function. I was in Las Vegas for work and went to the Apple Store in the Forum Shops. I was out the door in less than 20 mins with a replacement.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
My iPhone button would only work on the left, went to the applle store and they swapped it out right away.

Alveezy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
Hawaii
I've finally got the issue fixed! Thank's to that girl at the genius bar obviously :) I did convince the personnel that it was not working as it should by having them compare my phone with the display phones. the display phones were much more sturdier and clickier than mine. swapped it for a new one and now after a week and half with it...it's already scuffed haha! i should've stucked with my griffin reveal case. I'm glad i did the check up while i was in Cali because i live in Maui, HI. We don't have an Apple Store on my island...just some dumb retailer that rips off everyone with their over priced apple products(as if they're not already overpriced). If i did the check up over the phone when i was home, i would've had to wait for my replacement through the mail and that sucks!

Steelers7510

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2010
Lake Tahoe
I've been having the same annoying issue. It works about just under 50% of the time I'd say. I guess next time I'm in the area of an Apple Store I'll stop in and get it swapped out. Not big enough of an issue to send it in and be without a phone for a few days.

Plus, waiting a while might give them time to work out the issue.

joeyboyyy91

Suspended
Aug 20, 2010
I had the same issue. The lock button only functioned on the left hand side, and then about a week ago it basically stopped working entirely.

Went to the apple store yesterday and walked out with a shiney new iPhone 5 about 10 minutes later.

iJayden

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
The exact same thing happened to me. Starting happening about 2 weeks ago (had the phone for just over a month) and didn't worry about it. Now it's come to the point where it only works about 20% of the time.

I'm from New Zealand - we don't have an Apple Store so I'm planning on going into the mobile carriers store where I bought it from and getting them to sort it. But they will most likely have to send it off due to the lack of Apple Stores in NZ right?

Bit annoying over the Christmas break as it will probably take a while.

rachelBpittman

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2013
Did it cost for them to replace any of your phones? Because my phone is doing the same thing and I just need to know if I need money to bring with me.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
im starting to have this issue too. when i go to lock the phone, it sometimes takes 2-3 clicks to do so, maybe 2 out of 10 times. it only started happening after i updated to 6.1.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
QC issues aside on the iPhone 5, I have always found Apple's customer service to be excellent and the genius bar very helpful. Unfortunately not everyone lives near an Apple store which makes repairs and swaps a nightmare :(

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
im going in tomorrow moring to apple to seek replacement.

for those that got a new device, did they give you a brand new sealed one or a white box refurb? also, did you need to bring your original box? im past my 30 days, obviously under my 1 yr warranty for my iphone 5.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Apple buttons are not the best. I've had both power & home buttons fail. One was in warranty one was not.

Perhaps one day Apple will cave into reliability & use touch sensitive buttons like my Nexus 4 & Nexus 7. Not to mention the Droids and others I've had. All totally reliable.

Why is Apple afraid of touch screen buttons on a touch screen phone.... If that's not fear I don't know what is :)

ashley1

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2013
I have just recently got the same problem. My lock button only functions on the left hand side, it does not work at all on the right and its very irritating. I was just wondering when Apple give you a replacement phone, do they give you a new one in a box or?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I have just recently got the same problem. My lock button only functions on the left hand side, it does not work at all on the right and its very irritating. I was just wondering when Apple give you a replacement phone, do they give you a new one in a box or?

White box replacement.

Danniella

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2013
Too Get A NEW iphone 5 because the power/Sleep Button Is Broken Do You have Too Have Insurance Or Something Too Get It For Free ?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Too Get A NEW iphone 5 because the power/Sleep Button Is Broken Do You have Too Have Insurance Or Something Too Get It For Free ?

no, you have a one year manufacturer's warranty for defects and the like. Just make sure you don't bring your iphone in jailbroken, if it is

Danniella

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2013
Too Get A New Iphone 5 Because The Power / sleep Button Broke Can I Take It too sprint or Do i Have Too Take It Too An Apple Store Cause We Only Have An Apple Store 3hours Away

Last edited:

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Too Get A New Iphone 5 Because The Power / sleep Button Broke Can I Take It too sprint or Do i Have Too Take It Too An Apple Store Cause We Only Have An Apple Store 3hours Away

When did you buy it?

If in the last last two weeks you can take it too Sprint.

If you're past the return period at Sprint then bring some good music to keep you busy on your 3 hour trip.

OR call Applecare and see what they can do.

morgannnxo

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2013
i have the same problem but...

Hello, i have the same problem with the lock button only working on the left side, i dont have insurance and i bought it in december on a tesco contract could i go into apple and change it???? please help

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Hello, i have the same problem with the lock button only working on the left side, i dont have insurance and i bought it in december on a tesco contract could i go into apple and change it???? please help

Yes, bring it to apple and they will swap it out instantly if its defective. Simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.