Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:48 AM   #126
children
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
If this will allow Apple to increase their profit margins, I'm totally in favor of it!
its the complete opposite. this will slightly cut apples profit margins
in the industry, samsung provides by far the cheapest while also capable of such volume.

to be honest, i dont care where my display comes from, but if this kind of activity affects the quality of apple products, then I'm NOT HAPPY
children is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:49 AM   #127
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
Nonetheless, it probably isn't a good idea to be too reliant upon a competitor. Apple seems to be replacing Samsung with multiple suppliers. That is good business sense.
It was in response to saying it would hurt Samsung more than Apple. I see your point but the reality is at the moment Apple will be using second and third tier suppliers. And Samsung won't be sitting idly by and will continue to innovate.
AppleScruff1 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:49 AM   #128
subsonix
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
You do realize that Apple is only a few percent of Samsung's business, right?
Who cares?
subsonix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:49 AM   #129
rendevouspoo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
That's because it doesn't. Samsung's competitors will get some major revenues, and a huge customer who tends to be a pain - but that's the kind of customer that makes you improve your products. And if they have any financial problems, they will have an investor.
It's a question of quality. It's no secret that Samsung are the best at displays.
rendevouspoo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:50 AM   #130
arkmannj
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to arkmannj
Maybe Apple is requiring LG (and others) to step up their quality. (I hope), if so, then this could turn out better for everyone as LG would have stronger incentive to do so, and hopefully the quality increase would spill over into their other products making them more competitive with Samsung's display division across the board.
arkmannj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:51 AM   #131
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Samsung does something like $5-7 billion a year in contracts with Apple. It's only a few percent of their total revenue.
This gets posted every time.

Fact is they need to replace those few percent

In general a bad move by both companies and an emotional instead of business decision.

More understandable from Apple's part though.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:51 AM   #132
children
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonix View Post
Who cares?
the fan boys who think apple is the sole reason samsung is making money
children is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:51 AM   #133
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Who cares?
Well 1) you do - you posted. 2) he was posting in response to someone suggesting that it was bad news for Samsung - so completely relevant. 3) I would say over 100 comments in this thread indicate a few more people "care."
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:51 AM   #134
krravi
macrumors 65816

That's good news. I hope Apple sticks with Sharp, the leader in LCD panels. Most of the technological breakthrough's in LCD panels came from Sharp. But Samsung won the market by its low price.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:51 AM   #135
noiseordinance
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
Already it's a crapshoot whether you get an LG or Samsung display on a MacBook. Anyway, the new iPhone 5 display is superior to the one on the 4S regardless of who is making it. It's a matter of calibration.
It might be a crapshoot, but as someone with the Samsung-side of the crapshoot on my rMBP, I'm a happy customer. If I'd have received an LG screen, I would have returned this and Apple would be out $2500.
noiseordinance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:51 AM   #136
jamojamo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve121178 View Post
At the expense of customer satisfaction? Good one.

Have you seen the difference between Samsung & LG displays for example?
I haven't. Can you or others point out some studies that show a trend or statistically significant difference in the quality?

I would really like to understand if someone has actually done some analysis on this is a comprehensive way or is it just people on internet forums citing the same anecdotal examples over and over again therefore creating "lots of people reporting display problems with XX producer" noise.

Honestly wondering if there really is a difference or not.
jamojamo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:52 AM   #137
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasset View Post
Several Chinese Samsungs in the future, is a possibility. But Samsung is a threat here-and-now. By spreading out the supply chain Apple at least moves the goal posts a couple years out. Perhaps by then Apple will be so entrenched in the education system or businesses with iPads that their IP won't allow them to be displaced with knockoffs.
And that's a good thing? We want Apple to pretty much have a Windows-like domination over a particular space? That's the goal? How is that good for us consumers when one company pretty much owns an entire space?
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:53 AM   #138
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by the read View Post
Disagree. Apple need to learn how to work with companies.
Apple knows that. Pay them good money for good products. Sue them if they rip you off. Samsung had a 130 page document describing in detail what changes to make in their software because iOS was better.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:53 AM   #139
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxer View Post
And Samsung makes fungible commodities that Apple can get elsewhere with zero effect on their bottom line.
Remember that when you get a second rate SSD on your MBP. And flash memory in your MBA. And a poor panel on your iPad.
AppleScruff1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:53 AM   #140
children
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkmannj View Post
Maybe Apple is requiring LG (and others) to step up their quality. (I hope), if so, then this could turn out better for everyone as LG would have stronger incentive to do so, and hopefully the quality increase would spill over into their other products making them more competitive with Samsung's display division across the board.
LG has never made the best screens in the industry, what apple is counting on is the Japan Display to become a major player in the LCD wars. Risky bet imo, best thing for us Apple fan boys is a company like Samsung who has a track record of building consistent quality displays in a large scale.
children is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:54 AM   #141
Nomadski
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendevouspoo View Post
It's a question of quality. It's no secret that Samsung are the best at displays.
Samsung aren't producing anything like the best displays either in tvs or monitors.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:54 AM   #142
Steve121178
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamojamo View Post
I haven't. Can you or others point out some studies that show a trend or statistically significant difference in the quality?

I would really like to understand if someone has actually done some analysis on this is a comprehensive way or is it just people on internet forums citing the same anecdotal examples over and over again therefore creating "lots of people reporting display problems with XX producer" noise.

Honestly wondering if there really is a difference or not.
Just search in the MBA forum! There's quite a few threads doing comparisons etc. Search "LG vs Samsung" or something like that.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:54 AM   #143
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Remember that when you get a second rate SSD on your MBP. And flash memory in your MBA. And a poor panel on your iPad.
you left out "and waiting several weeks because of shipping delays"
samcraig is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:55 AM   #144
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Who cares?
And another defender to the rescue! My post was a bit of a reality check for those who seem to think that Samsung will collapse without Apple. I know it's hard to believe, but the world doesn't revolve around Apple.
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:55 AM   #145
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
Apple can get away with just about anything, and people keep buying and buying and buying, because they know that owning Apple products means that they are cooler and better than other people.
I suggest using the sarcasm smiley.

Else if you really feel this way, I suggest replacing the "i" in your name with "GetA"
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:55 AM   #146
Steve121178
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadski View Post
Samsung aren't producing anything like the best displays either in tvs or monitors.
They produce the best panels for consumer gadgets/devices/computers.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:55 AM   #147
saturn88
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopticalcube View Post
Samsung makes $1/4 trillion in revenue every year. I doubt they will cry much.
Right. And while both mobile and desktop market booming, they will have little trouble disposing their high quality competitively priced components. Big mistake, Apple.

Apple's consumer can also kiss good buy to the next generation of OLED displays since only Samsung can produce these in mass quantities.
saturn88 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:57 AM   #148
sbarton
macrumors regular

Apple doesn't just "buy" panels from display manufacturers. They partner on a technology level and invest $$$ heavily in their supply partners to bring to market the best products possible and maintain a high quality standard. While this may put temporary pressure on Apple in the short/mid term, it open a HUGE door to Samsung's competitors which will now benefit from the same relationship and investment it once received from Apple years ago.
sbarton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:57 AM   #149
Nomadski
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve121178 View Post
They produce the best panels for consumer gadgets/devices/computers.
Don't know much about the mobile market, but for monitors and tv's they absolutely don't. At all.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:58 AM   #150
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn88 View Post
Right. And while both mobile and desktop market booming, they will have little trouble disposing their high quality competitively priced components. Big mistake, Apple.

Apple's consumer can also kiss good buy to the next generation of OLED displays since only Samsung can produce these in mass quantities.
Well you KNOW what's going to happen, right? Once they are no longer using Samsung screens - Apple will market whatever technology they are using as superior - regardless if true or not.

You know "XXX types of screens aren't good for anything. We chose not to use that technology because it just provides an inferior experience"

Or something like that
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion