Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
Getting ready to snag a new Mac Mini after the announcement tomorrow ...

Assuming the new ones accept the same RAM and HDs and the existing ones ...

What kinds/sizes of RAM go in the Mini?

What kind of SSD specs will fit in the Mini?

Thanks very much in advance,
Chris

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I wouldn't assume anything yet. Apple has been moving to proprietary SSDs and soldered RAM lately so it's impossible to say whether parts that fit in current Mini will fit in the next gen. I'm sure you can wait a day.

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
I wouldn't assume anything yet. Apple has been moving to proprietary SSDs and soldered RAM lately so it's impossible to say whether parts that fit in current Mini will fit in the next gen. I'm sure you can wait a day.

Yes, thanks, definitely not ordering anything until after the specs are definite, just curious. Might decide to go with the current Mini at a discount. And have some current PC hardware and wondering if I could reuse the RAM.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Yes, thanks, definitely not ordering anything until after the specs are definite, just curious. Might decide to go with the current Mini at a discount. And have some current PC hardware and wondering if I could reuse the RAM.

The current Mini uses a standard 2.5" laptop drive, I'd think that would stay the same but we'll find out for sure tomorrow. Wouldn't count on reusing the RAM though, luckily it's pretty cheap in general.

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
The current Mini uses a standard 2.5" laptop drive, I'd think that would stay the same but we'll find out for sure tomorrow. Wouldn't count on reusing the RAM though, luckily it's pretty cheap in general.

Nice, thanks very much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.