Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guynorton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Hi,

There's a lot of stuff on this site about upgrading Imacs with SSD's but I haven't managed to find answers to some of my questions (and my emails to Macupgrade.eu AND Macsales.com were never answered), so here goes...

My late 2009 27" Imac SMART diagnostics report imminent drive failure.

My intention is to replace the 1tb Seagate with another Seagate drive and install an SSD at the same time.

Questions:

1> I haven't been able to find a DIY resource (video) detailing the steps needed to install an SSD in an late 2009 Imac. Is this because it's the same as in a mid 2010 model? If not does anyone know of a specific video resource for this?
2> Is the upgrade kit for the 2010 Imac sold on macsales.com compatible with a late 2009 Imac?
3> Is there any advantage in choosing a newer/faster spec SSD? Shaving a few milliseconds is nice but is it worth the extra $$$....?
4> If I replace the harddrive with a Seagate model will this allow me to avoid shorting the two connectors needed to stop the fan from running all the time?

regards, Guy

AlligatorBloodz

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
I would recommend going through the recall process first, then doing the DIY upgrade with the SSD afterwards if you want both.

I have the same iMac as you and I upgraded it myself to a 240gb ssd when my HDD failed. The process took me about 20-30 mins. I shorted the fan with a small piece of wire and some electrical tape (never had any problems). The issue with having two drives, one an SSD and one an HDD is there is not enough room/cables for both. If you go with both you have to replace the DVD drive with the SSD.

IMO, a sole 240 or 256gb SSD is sufficient. I have iTunes match so all my music is stored in the cloud. I also moved all my movies to a 1TB external drive I have. So storage hasn't been an issue yet. Plus I love how quiet my iMac is now :)

You need:
SSD
SSD mounting bracket
Screwdriver set from radioshack for $12.
Suction cups or really strong tape (what i used) to pull the glass screen off.
And a decent area to work.

Good luck!

guynorton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Thanks for the replies.

It's the first I've heard about the recall. I live in the Netherlands so maybe it hasn't filtered through yet. Anyway, I checked the Apple support page to see if I am eligible for a replacement drive. I typed in the serial number and was informed: 'The iMac serial number you entered is not eligible for this program. No further action on your part is needed at this time.'
It's definitely a Seagate drive (ST31000528ASQ) AND the Imac is one of those listed in the recall program AND my harddrive is failing, so what now?
I can't imagine there being any difference between those sold in the US and those in the Netherlands as they're all made in China.
I'll phone Apple(Netherlands) tomorrow and see what they say....will get back with an update.

Didn't realise there wasn't enough room for the SSD and harddrive. Seeing as my optical drive failed, 2 months outside the warranty period, I may just as well remove it and stick an SSD in. But first....to recall or not to recall!

regards, Guy

guynorton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Hi AlligatorBloodz,

After much consideration I'm going to do exactly what you did; replace the HDD with an SSD.

2 Question:

Will the exisiting HDD cable insert into the SDD (I have no idea about the tech!).
Do you know of any web resource which actually shows (ie with a pic) how to short the temperature sensors? My searches have not turned up anything I can work with, and it's the only part of the whole operation I am worried about.

Regards, Guy

UKScotty15

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Hi Guy,

just to let you know I have the same Seagate 1TB HDD (ST31000528ASQ) as you. I'm in the UK & I've not had any problems with it but I'm getting it replaced next week under the replacement programme. I'm getting my DVD drive taken out at the same time & putting in a 256GB SSD instead (tho' that will not be under warranty). I would perhaps contact Apple directly to see what they can do for you?

Regards
Peter

guynorton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Hi Guy,

just to let you know I have the same Seagate 1TB HDD (ST31000528ASQ) as you. I'm in the UK & I've not had any problems with it but I'm getting it replaced next week under the replacement programme. I'm getting my DVD drive taken out at the same time & putting in a 256GB SSD instead (tho' that will not be under warranty). I would perhaps contact Apple directly to see what they can do for you?

Regards
Peter

Apple in the Netherlands informed me that this drive does not fall under the recall...yet in the UK they say it does. This makes no sense to me :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.