Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

holmstrom111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
i recently bought an iphone 5 from Sprint. I'm getting .2-.4 mbs download from sprint. I knew sprint is lacking 4g lte cell towers but the 3g is crap. They wont work with me on the phone they keep spewing the 14 day policy. Dont buy the iphone on sprint!

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Only common sense would tell you not to purchase an iPhone 5 or any other phone on Sprint. :D

0r30

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
Texas
mine works fine here in Houston, Tx.

only thing I have noticed is my phone shows the roaming sign when going into 3g

kendu2412

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Fairfield CA
Where ur location ? Check your LTE Status if ur area available on list.

Before, mine service like notthing. Always 0.0 to 0.50 , REAL REAL SLOW.

But lucky , my city on list for LTE next coupe months, and speed grew up. With 3G always around 0.9 to 1.7 Mbps, and testing LTE around 22 Mbps for down and 4Mbps for up.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
i recently bought an iphone 5 from Sprint. I'm getting .2-.4 mbs download from sprint. I knew sprint is lacking 4g lte cell towers but the 3g is crap. They wont work with me on the phone they keep spewing the 14 day policy. Dont buy the iphone on sprint!

My iphone 5 on Sprint works great but my boyfriends is horrible! We are both in the same area too, it is very weird!

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Spring 3G is horrendous in LA, Ventura, San Fernando. Basically 14 million if the US population (estimate) lol. Just absolute garbage. I'm sure in certain states its good but jeeebus. It's was slow to the point I might as well use 2g or dial up.

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca
Sprint is the worst... vzw 3g isn't much better.

I just left Sprint and have Verizon now although Verizon's 3G might not beat out AT&T - it is alot better than Sprints in the Bay Area. But like it has been said before I am on LTE 85 to 90% of the time.

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
I despise Sprint, their network and their shady customer service people. They couldn't handle the 4S, now with the 5 their network is being unraveled at the core.

"Network Vision" is a nice idea but I don't trust their ability to implement sound infrastructure. At least not for 2 years anyway.

I paid $270 (disputing it now) in ETFs to go to Verizon.

Stayfly2407

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
VA

Tell me about it.....(iphone 5)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 101

Statusquick

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2012
You just have to do diligent research. I stayed away from sprint until I was sure of the iPhone 5's LTE and the LTE rollout according to S4GRU:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 83

Link00seven

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, USA
I left Sprint and went back to AT&T for the iPhone 5 (had an EVO 4G on Sprint) because Sprint 3G in Metro Detroit was absolutely garbage. I was lucky to be able to load my e-mail half the time. There was no mention of network improvements in this area, and I fell for the "oh 4G is coming to Detroit, we promise!" argument once with Wimax...wasn't doing that again for their LTE service. Good call too, I think, because from what I've seen Detroit is nowhere to be seen on the road map for Sprint LTE service.

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
Sprint is the worst... vzw 3g isn't much better.

Stop with the blanket accusations.

Cell service is a huge YMMV thing.

Because I can counter you and say Sprints 3G sucks from experience, but Verizon's 3G is 100xs faster..

Now that's true in my market, but not yours.

Johnnygogo

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
you gotta do your research before you purchase. Sprint in Chicago is super fast and LTE is everywhere in the surrounding burbs. best prices too.

Jungle Jack

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
That is just it. They are not garbage everywhere. In SW Coastal Florida, I am getting a 2Mbps Download and have had no issues using Safari, Netflix, etc. Thankfully, soon LTE will be coming. In addition, Sprint was purchased by a Japanese Company recently so hopefully the LTE Rollout will happen as hoped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.