Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
Lifehacker:
Tired of built-in apps like Stocks and Weather taking up space on your home screen when you've got better third-party alternatives you're using instead? The developers behind Rag3Hack figured out a way to hide them so they're not cluttering up your mobile.
I haven't tested it, but it sounds legit.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I just killed my Game Center with it. It's supposed to come back after a reboot, but I haven't rebooted yet (don't feel like doing it with my tethered jailbreak).

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
I probably should've waited to read about any potential dangers, but I can say Newsstand is gone on my 4S for now.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I'm not seeing that in the app store

that's, uh, because it's NOT in the app store. lots of great shareware (or freeware) apps are NOT in the app store.

search this forum, 'newsstand'. a number of people have run this app, and all seem happy (i am). it's running a script...you can google it, and do the work yourself...or just run this app...

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
What???? This gives the user WAY TO MUCH POWER!!!!! Apple should be the one to decide which Apps you want to use, not you! How did you guys even get the mental capacity to think about this yourself, when the great leader of a company Apple said we will use and like newsstand!!!!!!

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
What???? This gives the user WAY TO MUCH POWER!!!!! Apple should be the one to decide which Apps you want to use, not you! How did you guys even get the mental capacity to think about this yourself, when the great leader of a company Apple said we will use and like newsstand!!!!!!

Yeah, I'm glad Android at least lets you delete any app you want...[/sarcasm]

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-10-24-23-15-12.png
    Screenshot_2012-10-24-23-15-12.png
    141.9 KB · Views: 86

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
On Android 4.0 and up at least, you can go into the settings, find a preloaded app you hate, and then click on disable for it. It is then essentially hidden from the user. Is that really too hard?

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4260

Ooh, so I can disable it (if my phone could even run 4.0, which very few can), meaning it still takes up valuable space in memory, but is even more useless? Yay! /sarcasm

jW

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Ooh, so I can disable it (if my phone could even run 4.0, which very few can), meaning it still takes up valuable space in memory, but is even more useless? Yay! /sarcasm

jW

This "hack" isn't deleting the app either. It's not even the point of this thread hence the thread title. People just don't want to look at that crap. I know I don't, a lot of people myself included have a "junk" folder.

And this is a moot point toward Android anyway because on Android the home screen contains icons that are short cuts to the apps in the app drawer. If you don't want to see the app keep it confined to the app drawer off the home screen.

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Crash, Reboot.

That can't be good. StifelStand places NewsStand in a folder. But if you click it, on purpose or by mistake, it crashes and reboots the iPhone.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
That can't be good. StifelStand places NewsStand in a folder. But if you click it, on purpose or by mistake, it crashes and reboots the iPhone.

then don't click it (on purpose OR by mistake...). i tucked my newsstand in a folder, along with other apps i don't use, so...no real reason to go in there in the first place.

still, a poor substitute for being able to DELETE apps.. :(

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Most people don't ever turn their iDevices off. I sure don't.

It feels like I need to reset my iPhone once a week or so. Actually right now my voice dictation button is grayed out, don't know what that's about but a reboot will fix it.

4yjy6ubu.jpg

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
The Digital Frontier
Honestly, I have stuck all of my default apps that I don't use into a folder believe it or not, called "Unused apps". As for newsstand, I just learn to live with the fact I can't move it anywhere else or hide it in a folder.

Sometimes just learning to ignore something insignificant is a good thing.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Honestly, I have stuck all of my default apps that I don't use into a folder believe it or not, called "Unused apps". As for newsstand, I just learn to live with the fact I can't move it anywhere else or hide it in a folder.

Sometimes just learning to ignore something insignificant is a good thing.

Me too. I moved Newstand to my second page, instead of third, because I use it for the only magazine subscription I have: National Geographic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.