Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2003
I have a "wedge" barcode scanner: it's designed to go between a keyboard an a computer and appears as a keyboard to the OS. It is a PS/2 scanner but I added a PS/2 to USB adapter and OS X immediately pulled up the keyboard setup screen.

It says the "keyboard" is not recognized and needs to be setup. The first step is pressing the key immediately the right of Shift. Until it is setup, OS X says it will not work. That's where the problem starts: it's a barcode scanner with only one button to scan. I don't know how to get it setup.

I'm trying to use the scanner (pretty sure it's this one: http://www.opticonusa.com/kbwedgekit.htm) with Delicious Library to catalog books. I've tried selecting the ISBN-field but the scanner provides to input when it beeps. However, when the scanner is plugged in, Delicious Library has a new section/box within new book entries; it says: Scan barcodes at any time with your USB scanner.

Does anyone know whether I can use this barcode scanner? I have used my camera to do this but it would be so much more convenient to use this if possible. I can't find a mac driver for this - is there something (like USB Overdrive for mice/joysticks) that will let me use this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: It turns out that Delicious Library seems to think the PS/2 to USB adapter is a barcode scanner; that is, the previously mentioned box about that appears also when only the adapter without the scanner is attached. (I'm not sure if this will help anyone or not but I thought I should add it in case).

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
This might be out of scope with the average Mac Rumors users background. Barcode devices have come up from time to time. I suggest contacting the manufacturer http://www.opticonusa.com/contact.htm and then posting the results here on the forum so that other people don't have to do all of the work you are doing.

Also you might want to search for either forum about cataloging and inventory tracking done on a Mac or for POS (Point Of Sales) users who use Mac's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.