Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Not sure where to put this, so I will start here. I have about 800 gigs of iTunes media, most of it is movies and TV shows; but a lot is apps and music.

I started thinking about all the local storage for it and my ripped media, and how I access my itunes media, I started to question why I really need it locally anyway.

On my TV I stream all my iTunes content over the internet via my Apple TV. I only airplay my ripped library.

I use iTunes match to access music on my HT via my Apple TV.

I have iTunes match for my music on my computer to access.

Any shows I want to see or watch on the go I can download from iTunes iCloud before I go or from a hot spot.

So I am wondering, what is the benefit of keeping my media locally storaged; especially DRM media? The only negatives I can think of are:

1. What happens if Apple no longer sells a movie or TV show; will I lose access to redownload it? I thought this was a bigger concern with apps and not TV/Movies.

2. No internet means no media.

3. Having to consider in advance what I may want on my MBP before heading on a trip somewhere.

Items 2 and 3 are managable, but I am not sure about the first point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.