Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Yesterday I had terrible terrible battery but I knew it was because I played a lot of games. Today I'm getting even worse battery andim not doing anything other than browsing Internet and listened to a bit of music. Wifi and everything is off, so what's wrong with my phone??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 132

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Your iPhone is under warranty. Contact Apple for support.

I'm right to complain about this though, right? This is definitely not normal?

Here's an update, 30 hour of usage later, more than 10% drain

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 80

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
I'm right to complain about this though, right? This is definitely not normal?

Here's an update, 30 hour of usage later, more than 10% drain

I hit 4 and a half hours with 2% left today... it is actually worse than what my 4S was giving me for usage in the same way... Gonna pop in to the Apple store soon'ish and see what they say.

gapperonduty

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
FWIW, your signal is pretty poor so that could be a reason as your phone is constantly busy maintaining the LTE signal.

Try staying on Wifi, that might help...

My phone has an average of 6.5 hours and was told that this is the norm when I pop into Apple store for a battery diagnosis...

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Went to geniuses today, he told me to try a restore. I just did it when I got home so I'm hoping that fixed it.

Another question, my phone gets pretty warm when I'm using it, was playing the same game as my friend and hers wasn't warm at all. Could this be part of the problem?

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
The Genius will usually hook it up to a diagnostic that will test the battery. That is at least what they did for me on my iPhone 4S that was getting short battery life. When it checked out as "Ok" they pretty much showed me the door.

Is your signal low or intermittent? That can have a HUGE impact on battery. Location services, rogue app, brightness setting?

johnny5-need-input.png

SwimmingPool

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
I was in the same boat as you. I was only getting about 2 hours of battery life before hitting 20%. I had to setting up my iPhone as new. Now I am getting around 8 hours usage on my iPhone 5.

There is no need to go exchange your iPhone. It most likely will not help.

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
I feel like I had good battery life and now it seems to be dropping a lot more quickly

Just was at 87% and now less than 20 mins later I'm sitting at 77% and only used safari

I think weak signal has a lot to do with it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 69

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Got a replacement... Battery life is better but still doesn't seem like it is what it should be... I just want to rule out hardware for the cause of the problem, if its software I'm ok to wait.

Also I noticed that my signal is indeed poor a Lott of the time, could having only 2 or 3 bars really affect battery this much?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 74

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
Got a replacement... Battery life is better but still doesn't seem like it is what it should be... I just want to rule out hardware for the cause of the problem, if its software I'm ok to wait.

Also I noticed that my signal is indeed poor a Lott of the time, could having only 2 or 3 bars really affect battery this much?

No. I usually have one bar, and I get between 7.5-8.5 hours actual usage from one charge. (10+ if i listen to some music)

Something is wrong.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011

4 hours of usage stinks.
How many push accounts do you have? Do you use location apps? How about notifications?

I have come to realize that 5-6 hours of usage through LTE only is the norm.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
4 hours of usage stinks.
How many push accounts do you have? Do you use location apps? How about notifications?

I have come to realize that 5-6 hours of usage through LTE only is the norm.

I have no push accounts except the gmail app, and I don't regularly use location apps. Does my phone getting hot during use have anything to do with it?

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Improvement... But still terrible compared to what some people are posting. I'll test it over the weekend and if it stays like this then I guess I'm going back to the geniuses.

Any other tips to save battery other than unnecessary location services, brightness, push notifications?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 63

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
If your 4G or LTE signal is intermittent or weak your phone is using extra battery power constantly searching for signal. Turn off 4G and use Wifi and see if your battery last longer when your home.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
If your 4G or LTE signal is intermittent or weak your phone is using extra battery power constantly searching for signal. Turn off 4G and use Wifi and see if your battery last longer when your home.
But the guy above said he constantly only has 1 bar and still gets good battery life

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
But the guy above said he constantly only has 1 bar and still gets good battery life

If I'm the guy, it's true, I work from home, and my att signal is 1 bar 90% of the time. It's true however I use wifi for 75% of my net browsing. But still, the cellular signal in my house is pretty weak, and I still get a solid 7.5-8 hours of use, and that's with NO music or screen off BT streaming. With some music I have gotten 10.5 hours. But definitely 7.5-8 average solid use with no iPod.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Jeez.. I'm at 1 hr 8 min @ 92% :/ Then again I'm on wifi and I have T-Mobile.. haha . Contact Apple, I think your battery is abnormal.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Oh... Well I'm starting to think that it really all has to do with me trying to browse on data when my signal is low, because of you guys getting such good life on wifi and because right now i'm at 4 hours 28 mins (which is what I get on 100%) at 26% and I've been on wifi all day. Also i've been using it for games almost the whole time. The next charge I will try no gaming, no music and wifi the whole time. Hopefully I get the kind of usage you guys are blessed with...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.