Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dragunov

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
NYC
Id like to buy an iphone 5 no contract as i am with t-mobile but i dont want to go to an apple store at 6am and then them still not have it. Has anyone gone to the store and lined up and got an iphone no contract without them being sold out? even without a reserve? and any tips for someone trying to do so.

i live in NYC and plan to go to the Roosevelt field mall one, if anyone happens to have gone to that store, but all tips will be greatly appreciated.

Dragunov

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
NYC
yes but is there any way of knowing if they get a shipment, and if they will have any off reserve that i can grab. which is why im asking for tips. its a annoying drive to go get one

jrz

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2012
There is no way to know. I was in the same boat as you- I showed up to the Indianapolis store 3 times in 8 days, each time an hour before they opened. On the third time, they had them available and I was able to pay full price. Unlocked, and on T-Mobile.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
Id like to buy an iphone 5 no contract as i am with t-mobile but i dont want to go to an apple store at 6am and then them still not have it. Has anyone gone to the store and lined up and got an iphone no contract without them being sold out? even without a reserve? and any tips for someone trying to do so.

i live in NYC and plan to go to the Roosevelt field mall one, if anyone happens to have gone to that store, but all tips will be greatly appreciated.

Right now, NYC apple stores wont sell you the iPhone without tying it to some kind of account. Roosevelt field has the same policy.

This is the *current* policy at least in this area.

Dragunov

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
NYC
Right now, NYC apple stores wont sell you the iPhone without tying it to some kind of account. Roosevelt field has the same policy.

This is the *current* policy at least in this area.

I had called the store and they said the best bet was to get there early and wait in line. I had told him what I have told you guys. Is this from direct experience? It seems like its a cluster**** for people like me.

Dragunov

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
NYC
Anyone in nyc was able to buy a iphone 5 off contract? I went to radioshack, att, and verizon and all said no.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
I had called the store and they said the best bet was to get there early and wait in line. I had told him what I have told you guys. Is this from direct experience? It seems like its a cluster**** for people like me.

100% confirmed. You can't do it right now.

stieny

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2008
Just use the 10pm/next day pick up off of Apples website. This is what I did when I bought mine a few weeks ago since there wasn't any available anywhere for a walk-in purchase.

You just have to hop online a little before 10pm and get all your info in there and ready to buy. The nearby Apple stores stock will refresh at 10 and you'll be able to select the store, pay for it, and then pick it up the next day. You have to be quick though as they were selling out 1-2 min after 10pm at all my local stores. It took me a few nights to secure one.

rd261

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
I believe that only works if you have a contract to renew. Ive been trying to upgrade my phone but Im not eligible to sign a new contract so it wont let me place my order.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
Just use the 10pm/next day pick up off of Apples website. This is what I did when I bought mine a few weeks ago since there wasn't any available anywhere for a walk-in purchase.

You just have to hop online a little before 10pm and get all your info in there and ready to buy. The nearby Apple stores stock will refresh at 10 and you'll be able to select the store, pay for it, and then pick it up the next day. You have to be quick though as they were selling out 1-2 min after 10pm at all my local stores. It took me a few nights to secure one.

This only works if you have/want a account with Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint.

stieny

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2008
I believe that only works if you have a contract to renew. Ive been trying to upgrade my phone but Im not eligible to sign a new contract so it wont let me place my order.

I did not have a contract to renew. My contract started on 10/11 (when I bought my 4S) and expires 10/13. I picked up my iPhone 5 and the contract stayed the same. My two year contract still ends next year in October with an early upgrade this coming spring.

----------

This only works if you have/want a account with Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint.

I understand that. That's my fault as I was under the impression the OP had an existing contract with a carrier and was just looking to see if they could purchase without signing a new 2 year.

Dragunov

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
NYC
so since this thread has derailed, heres what i figured out about getting the NYC stores to sell you a no-contract iphone 5

NO stores will sell the no-contract iphone 5 unless you want to SIGN a contract, ive called numerous times and here are the store that WONT sell WITHOUT contract:

-apple
-best buy
-target
-radio shack
-verizon
-ATT

are there any other store that i can check? I have t-moblie and live in NYC trying to buy a iphone 5 no contract, nothing..

Dragunov

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
NYC
how is anyone buying the iphone 5 in the US, NY specifically without a contract!?

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
bump much?

apple store stopped selling them off contract. they were doing it at first.
if you speak to an apple store employee and hes cool, you can get him to. tell him to ring it up under their easy pay system, then it will allow you to select device only.

Dragunov

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
NYC
bump much?

apple store stopped selling them off contract. they were doing it at first.
if you speak to an apple store employee and hes cool, you can get him to. tell him to ring it up under their easy pay system, then it will allow you to select device only.

my thread got derailed, and was never answered. bumping is the only way to survive.

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA
There is no way to know. I was in the same boat as you- I showed up to the Indianapolis store 3 times in 8 days, each time an hour before they opened. On the third time, they had them available and I was able to pay full price. Unlocked, and on T-Mobile.

How did you unlock it? Apple has not released an unlocked version yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.