Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Ok so I did not know that AT&T would not offer you wifi hotspot on unlimited data plans until about week ago. I called cause I wanted to see how much it was. She told me that the only plans that could were the limited ones and suggested the 5gb of data for $50. I am really considering it, but I really don't want to lose unlimited data. Is there any body who has gotten AT&T to give you wifi hotspot on unlimited? I just thought if you gave them enough crap they would give in, or is this just a lost cause?

noah82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
San Diego, CA
It is a lost cause. You need to be on the 5GB tethering plan or a mobile share plan to get tethering.

Or you need to be jailbroken, which is impossible as of now.

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
It's a lost cause. If you really need it, pay attention to your usage, and see if it's even worth the $50.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
It's a lost cause unless you want to jailbreak and install a tethering app. But if ATT catches you using a tethering app, they will give you a warning and than threaten to take away your unlimited data all together.

Gaidin43

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Can they still catch you? I thought with tethering more common place again they are having a harder time catch people.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Can they still catch you? I thought with tethering more common place again they are having a harder time catch people.

See this is what I was wondering too. I had the Galaxy nexus right before I got the iPhone 5 and it was an international phone and was unlocked to use any sim based network. It had a wifi hotspot app build into the phone, and I would use about 1gb a month is tethering and I never got anything from them to tell me stop. I woul love for them to try. I have been with them since 1999, and have never been in bad standing with them. Their is not reason they should charge for tethering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.