Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:31 PM   #76
CJS7070
macrumors 6502a

Really not a fan of the fact that I can't order the previous-gen iMac before the new ones start shipping. Guess my office won't be getting a new iMac anytime soon...
CJS7070 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:32 PM   #77
iChrist
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intarweb View Post
Anybody got the low down on upgrading the HDD or RAM yet at home, is it possible?

Not possible. The "chin" is fused to the back... the screen is fused to the glass.

I'd love to see ifixit even TRY to get this open without ruining it.

I'm sure Apple's RAM prices will be fair though...

Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:32 PM   #78
yoak
macrumors 65816

Funny how there are no pics from the side of the iMac.
Also, I hope the fusion drive works better than my Momentus XT, that ended up being every slow after about a year (changed it for an SSD)

But all in all I think it's a nice looking Mac
www.sombrafilm.com
yoak is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:33 PM   #79
AndrewClarke
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NunoBerny View Post
I don't use it much, but certainly use it more often that I think "oh, this iMac really needs to be thinner and more expensive".
I pulled it from my 15" MacBook Pro and my wife's 13" and haven't missed it. I can still plug it into USB if I want, or use the one that I still have in my Mac Pro. I'm pretty sure the only thing I ever use it for is to rip the occasional DVD.
AndrewClarke is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:33 PM   #80
Sacird
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseW6889 View Post
Yeah! That'll show em!

But seriously... desktops are in a whole other league from laptops... I agree. I don't think they're trying to make the argument that this thing has a good price/performance ratio though.
I am sure it will show them????? Why not just write your second statement and leave mine out, point was what? You made your statement too thick. Apple would hate that.
Sacird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:34 PM   #81
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God

Look at the bottom dont see the ram door anymore guess thats not user accessible anymore....
DerekRod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:34 PM   #82
burnout8488
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
Epic fail.

It's not a new design, it's just thinner. There's no optical drive, which kills it for me. When I use Windows on Bootcamp it means having to have an external optical drive on my desk to load certain programs or play DVD or BD movies in my collection, thus defeating the purpose of having an all-in-one machine. Another external device to add to my modem, external HDD, speakers, etc
So you're still buying it? Or were those hypotheticals?
burnout8488 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:34 PM   #83
Marcus-k
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mganai View Post
The flash in hybrids is used typically for cache.

Apple, instead, is going the whole nine yards: using the SSD for OS and apps as well, while data goes in the HDD.
No, the SSDs in hybrid discs are used exactly the way Apple is doing it now. It's not even Apple that invented this specific version of it, they are just using Intels SRT feature which has been availible on Ivy Bridge motherboards since the beginning. This feature is availible to practically all Ivy Bridge computers if you install a SSD in it.
Marcus-k is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:34 PM   #84
TsMkLg068426
macrumors 6502a

Can the new iMacs also fly? I think I will wait for the next generation iMacs until than.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:34 PM   #85
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

It's nice. I'm not knocking it. But I see very little incentive to upgrade from my 2011 - even as someone who loves having the latest and greatest. (Of course, I did get an ssd and i7, just to dissuade myself from being tempted by the next revision :-) ).

How are these graphics chips? Different one in each model, plus a 5th option at the very high end. Have not seen so many different ones used before.
QCassidy352 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:34 PM   #86
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingcraig View Post
The new iMac is indeed gorgeous. However I wonder how many folks are aware that the Fusion drive isn't exactly a brand new concept. A quick google search revealed several posts on blogs and social media that were lauding Apple for its "innovation" of the Fusion concept, yet I've had a Momentus XT hybrid drive in my MBP for almost two years.
Your Momentus XT comes with a special build of Mountain Lion that takes advantage of it like the Fusion Drive? I didn't think so. As with most things Apple, they combine an integration of hardware AND software/OS to achieve solutions that "hardware only" providers can't really achieve simply because of the fact that they are only producing a hardware solution and can't integrate into the OS the way Apple can.

This has always been one of Apple's biggest advantages.
newagemac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:35 PM   #87
super tomtendo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandeetz View Post
just because you don't use the optical drive doesn't mean others don't. I know a number of people that use them for dvd authoring also getting digital copies of films and ripping music/movies of the disc.

I think the big deal is, why remove something in a desktop unit that doesn't need to be light and thin? consumers and professionals that have a ned for the drive are left in the cold now, especially with mac pro's being prohibitively expensive
I'm 110% sure apple has an external optical drive via USB. Go buy that or buy a third party one.

I myself haven't touched a CD in....hmm... 4 years?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:35 PM   #88
drummingcraig
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwheet View Post
What I find funny is that people were so outraged a few months ago when this feature **didn't** make its way into the Macbook Pro. And now they're nonplussed to see it appear in the iMac? It really is impossible to please everybody, I think.
Not sure if my posts are part of the "nonplussed" group you're referring to, but to be clear I am not damning Apple at all. I was simply making an observation that other people around the interwebs were already crediting Apple with inventing a new technology within seconds after the announcement, when that is (as far as we currently know) not the case.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:35 PM   #89
iBroken
macrumors newbie

what about The Apple Thunderbolt Display ? I was waiting for update on that
iBroken is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:35 PM   #90
sshambles
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by slughead View Post

Great products today, I'm just trying to be in b4 the "Apple invents new things all the time!" fanboys have their collective orgasm.
Hint: That's you!
You're posting here, don't make out as if you're not a fanboy. Otherwise you wouldn't be here.

iMacs look great, though might be worth holding out for Retina perhaps?
sshambles is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:35 PM   #91
DKZ
macrumors member

I think I'm going to keep my 2 weeks old 27" iMac (6970m), gasp! And here is why: The design is nice, but not something you're going to notice in use. The graphics cards, while better, also make the machine more expensive. The 675MX is roughly 30% better than the 6970m, but would cost me an extra 1000 dkr. I don't really want to think about what the 680MX will make it cost.

CPU wise, the difference is negligible, and while fusion drive sounds awesome. It'll raise the price even further. I'm not made of money dammit.

And we use the dvd drive quite often here.

Plus, I really don't want to wait till December.

Nice machine, but I think I'm keeping this one. Just got the get them to fix that damn fan.
DKZ is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:35 PM   #92
nightmars
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to nightmars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidorian View Post
Entry level, for a desktop, graphics are a big damper.
??? Really ??? You can select from Nvidia GT640, GT650, GTX (gaming grade) 660, GTX 675 and the monstrous GTX 680 -- what more do you want ????
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:36 PM   #93
Brien
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iChrist View Post
Not possible. The "chin" is fused to the back... the screen is fused to the glass.

It appears the new iMac is not user-serviceable, like the rMBP's and MBA's. Not surprising, but it's going to take an old-timer like me a few years to get used to the idea of disposable computers.
Brien is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:36 PM   #94
Thunderbird
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by portishead View Post
Ugh... really...

You can get a separate optical drive. You're complaining because the stand is the same? really!?? Saying fail and epic fail just makes you sound like a 12 year old.
Try reading my post instead of insulting me, k?

I don't want to have to go out and buy a separate optical drive and have it clutter my desk. The stand is still not ergonomic, yes, that's something to complain about.

If you don't like my use of the word 'fail' too bad, suck on a lemon.
Thunderbird is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:36 PM   #95
Lynn Belvedere
macrumors regular

Even though they increased the price, the new iMac is still a great value.

Twice as much ram, twice as much hard drive space, much better video card, better processor, better screen with less glare, and the thinner/lighter design. Well worth the extra $100.

The iPad 2 and the Macbook Pro retina on the other hand?

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Last edited by Lynn Belvedere; Oct 23, 2012 at 01:44 PM.
Lynn Belvedere is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:36 PM   #96
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

According to Apple website, RAM upgrade is only available for the 27-inch model.
http://www.apple.com/imac/performance/
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:36 PM   #97
RemarkabLee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahc View Post
Surprised there is no i7 in this.
It's a CTO option on the top end 27"
RemarkabLee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:36 PM   #98
Zach Vega
macrumors regular

Totally buying it. My low-end 2010 21.5" iMac is getting old, and the 16 GB RAM (what I'm getting), Fusion Drive, and thinness will be epic. I'm going with a 27" screen this time.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:36 PM   #99
Intarweb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iChrist View Post

I'm not spending an extra $300 for the ability to just upgrade the ram in the 27" one. It looks like my first gen MacPro will be the last Mac I will buy.
Intarweb is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:37 PM   #100
mariana888
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgunn View Post
How often do you use the optical drive?
You are correct, I don't mind the optical drive to be done with, I noticed the other day that I hadn't used mine in a loooooooong time.

However a few things I do use and that may look old fashion.... any CD (you may receive as a present) and need to add to your library, any movie that comes with "digital copy" where you need to add the disk to iTunes (yes, I do get these). Minute details but it does cause some bother short term.

The new iMac looks amazing.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion