Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:45 PM   #126
rrahimi
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccompatible View Post
THE IPAD 3 IS NOT OUTDATED. The iPad 4 is just better. Nothing breathtaking.
If you plan to keep it and use it yes. If you have plans to sell and upgrade, I got bad news for you.
rrahimi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:45 PM   #127
ks-man
macrumors 6502a

I really don't understand why iPad 3 owners are getting so angry about the release today. Even if they had waited until March to release the iPad 4, your iPad 3 would perform exactly the same for the next 5 months as it will now. Waiting for a March release would not make the iPad 3:

Faster
Have more capacity
Perform new features
Do anything different

Even if you claim that this will hurt resale value of the iPad 3 that really isn't logical. The resale value today of the iPad 3 will be the same as what it would be on the day of an iPad 4 release in 5 months.

The only reason it matters is if people wanted "bragging rights" about owning the best iPad for another 5 months which really is a pretty lousy reason to own a product. You should own it b/c you like what the product offers to you and nothing about that has changed with today's release.

Enjoy your iPad 3, it is a great product and as an iPad 3 owner I love the display and the speed.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:45 PM   #128
rollzst
macrumors member

Very angry by this, it's no way to treat loyal customers, I really hope not many people buy the new iPad!
http://www.integratech.co.uk
rollzst is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:45 PM   #129
uchosen
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillChambers View Post
I will never buy a apple product again. How dare they take 500 off me 6 months ago and then release a new ipad today. Tim Cook has just confirmed what a moron he really is does he really think he can con apples loyal fans. I will be selling my ipad 3 new ipad whatever its called to buy a windows surface. **** Apple raging
I see that this thread will provide me with some entertainment today
uchosen is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:45 PM   #130
Yetihunter
macrumors member

I bought the first pricey power Mac ($3000 total, only a couple/few years apart from a below $1000 base price) two months before they dropped the intel bombshell. Boo hoo. That computer was supported for about a decade past it's lifespan. It's gonna be alright.
Yetihunter is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:45 PM   #131
darkslide29
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romey-Rome View Post
Because the iPad 3 is out of the lineup, ant not likely to be produced in any capacity. AppleCare+ gives you accidental damage replacement for $50. "Whoops. I dropped it". No more iPad3? Then they give you a 4. That's the theory anyway, but you gotta give it time to clear out the old stock & refurbs.
Interesting theory, but it seems like I could go to the Apple Store online and still buy refurb iPad 1's every once in a while, so they're definitely floating around.
Shouldn't we expect the same from the now-outdated 3rd gen?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:46 PM   #132
Romey-Rome
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emaja View Post
The question has already been answered - no.
No, they obviously won't if they keep producing 3s or have plenty of stock, but why would they bother at this point if it's at the same price point? I think it's a tossup... You may have to wait until the 5 is close before they deplete all their 3 stock, but they'll have no choice but to upgrade you if they have no more 3s.
Romey-Rome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:46 PM   #133
makeway
macrumors newbie

iPad 3 owners ...

Assuming the iPad is now on a November schedule ... Apple just did us a huge favor by extending the usefulness of our current tablet for another 8-9 months.
makeway is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:47 PM   #134
malloryjones
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo1971 View Post
You do realize Apple is not a charity-it is a business and they have stockholders to keep busy. Progress moves at a rapid rate-it won't stop. I empathize with your plight but if you feel the way you do just resell your iPad and pay the difference.

Life is too short and to fragile to get this upset over an inimate object. Keep in mind that this is an object that you've lived most of your life without.
Thanks. Oh I wouldn't call it plight, just irritation based on asking the Apple genius how long the product cycle lasts and being assured it is a year.
malloryjones is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:47 PM   #135
Eadfrith
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
And with competition starting to ramp up, that's exactly what they need to do.
No one else on here seems to realise this.
Eadfrith is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:47 PM   #136
jmgregory1
macrumors 6502a

I still have an '07 mbp with a broken screen and dented case - but it's still being used by my kids. It still does what they want/need it to do.

Point being, Apple's not going to drop updates for the "3" next year just because it's out of the line, especially given they are still offering the "2". The 3 will soldier on for at least a couple of year and those that are sporting the 3 can keep using and enjoying them with no disruption in experience. And if you just can't survive knowing there is a better one available, then sell or gift your 3 and get a 4. But be prepared that next year the 4 will see another update you're going to want and the cycle will continue.

Damn you Apple, damn you.
jmgregory1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:47 PM   #137
rockarollr
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyslick View Post
Livid

This is a real kick in the teeth for those who bought iPad 3.
Are Apple going to do some kind of upgrade offer?
I concur. I'm pretty pissed, too. The "new iPad" only on the market for 7 months and rendered obsolete already? And, to those that say, "It hasn't been made obsolete, quit whining" - yes, it has been made obsolete. Soon, there will be apps and games that that will run on the A6X but will not run on the A5X. This time, it will happen sooner rather than the usual yearly cycle. The iPad's power and capability has changed... the connector has changed. Those are not "minor" changes. This "new iPad" will be much more "future-proof" than the one I bought only a few short months ago.

After spending $1,000 to get a 64GB, LTE "new iPad" not long ago, I now have to sit and wonder, "Do I really want to take a chance and spend that much of my hard-earned money on an Apple product again? Just so I can feel screwed only 6 months later?"

That's not a good assessment coming from a long-time Apple devotee such as myself. Imagine what the people in a similar situation, and with little to no loyalty to Apple, must be feeling right now.

Last edited by SandboxGeneral; Oct 23, 2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Clean up
rockarollr is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:48 PM   #138
VPrime
macrumors 68000

The ipad3 has too little ram for that retina display.. Apple did not bump up the memory to compensate for double the amount of pixels. when dealing with retina graphics you are extremely limited by this...

My guess with the a6x there is much more memory.. And because th ipad3 is not even available anymore most developers will be using the ipad4 as the technology to develop retina apps for.... Especially new apps and games.

people saying the ioad3 is not obsolete are wrong. You will notice VERY quickly that developers are going to take advantage of the new power and apps will no longer be available for the ipad3.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:48 PM   #139
parafish13
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to parafish13
Watching the haters hate here is the most fun I've had since...well...Mitt Romney's worldview last night.

Keep up the rage. There's always Microsoft.
parafish13 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:48 PM   #140
tremlock
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.johnnyboy View Post
Absolutely gutted!!

they dont even sell the ipad 3 on the website anymore, not even a trace of it, like it never existed!
so not happy with the 4th generation!
refurb store
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:49 PM   #141
mozumder
macrumors 6502a

Hahah all the geeks are so pissed their iPad 3 is outdated.

Sorry, but Apple doesn't cater to geeks.

You bought your iPad because of its usefulness, not because of its tech specs.

You should not care about iPad 4's specs, because you can still read an iBook, surf the web, play games, etc, at the same speed as you used to do.

Seriously, tech geeks need to go away. Apple doesn't build devices for the sake of the device, they build it to get whatever use you need from them done.

The geeks have no idea why they even care about tech specs. The specs are the LEAST of your problems.
mozumder is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:49 PM   #142
Romey-Rome
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkslide29 View Post
Interesting theory, but it seems like I could go to the Apple Store online and still buy refurb iPad 1's every once in a while, so they're definitely floating around.
Shouldn't we expect the same from the now-outdated 3rd gen?
Yeh, but they need to provide you an on the spot replacement. Pretty sure no Apple store stock 1s or 2s refurbs.
Romey-Rome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:49 PM   #143
emaja
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romey-Rome View Post
No, they obviously won't if they keep producing 3s or have plenty of stock, but why would they bother at this point if it's at the same price point? I think it's a tossup... You may have to wait until the 5 is close before they deplete all their 3 stock, but they'll have no choice but to upgrade you if they have no more 3s.
Yes, that is certainly a possibility, but I was really referring to people who wanted to pull this as soon as the new iPad launched.

So for now, the answer is still "no."
emaja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:49 PM   #144
beg_ne
macrumors 6502

Oh the tears of the whiners are so delicious! Yes, yes give me more!

LOL Jesus people get a stick up their ass no matter what Apple does.
beg_ne is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:49 PM   #145
darkslide29
macrumors 6502a

As an iPad 3 owner, I am glad to see that the new iPad mini has an A5 processor. This is because the iPad 3rd gen has an A5X processor, which means they can't make this chipset truly obsolete any time soon if they just launched a new product with it.
The time will come, but it would have been sooner had the iPad mini launched with an A6 or something.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:49 PM   #146
master-ceo
macrumors 65816

Plus they have enough returned iPad 3's with pink screens for warranty returns.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:49 PM   #147
Jibbajabba
macrumors 6502a

Shops must be really pissed. Stock up, paying a fortune and only a few months later they have no chance but to drop the price..

Bloody stupid.
Jibbajabba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:49 PM   #148
g0odfr1end102
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryPot View Post
To be honest, I still don't find a reason to update from my iPad 2.
Same here!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:50 PM   #149
mozumder
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahimi View Post
If you plan to keep it and use it yes. If you have plans to sell and upgrade, I got bad news for you.
What's the point of buying it in the first place?

Real people don't buy tech products just to upgrade them.
mozumder is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:50 PM   #150
dampfnudel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollzst View Post
Very angry by this, it's no way to treat loyal customers, I really hope not many people buy the new iPad!
Thanks for the good laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion