Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:05 PM   #251
Tevlon
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmo0916 View Post
$329 is £206...

The iPad Mini - Starting at £269 in the UK!

Im not enjoying the £60 markup at all.
yea same here in nl. we have to pay €329 for it. thats $429.........
Tevlon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:05 PM   #252
dmelgar
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post
the width is almost a inch bigger than the nexus 7.

Nexus 7 is easier to hold in one hand.

iPad mini is 30 grams less than Nexus 7. gotta see in the store.
Width is NOT an inch bigger, more like 1/2 inch (15mm). Display is much bigger.

Ipad mini is much thinner. 7.2mm vs 10.5.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:05 PM   #253
wimdows
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorst View Post
...Retina was not an option for Apple unless they could create a display with double the resolution (for app compatiblity), which gives a higher pixel density compared to iPad 3. That type of display is technology wise not possible these days.
Come on! Of course it is technically possible. It's not like we are talking about populating Kepler-B by Christmas now is it?

It just means it would have bumped the price too much to be competitive with the Nexus's of this world.
wimdows is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:05 PM   #254
TheBigLebowski
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioteknika View Post
This bad marketing decision is the starting point of the downfall of Apple, whether you like it or not.
Primates fling excrement at the wall, and occasionally some of it sticks. Of course, then they're prone to licking it off the wall because they're, well, disgusting.
TheBigLebowski is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:05 PM   #255
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by louden View Post
As a nook reader (coveting a paperwhite) - I totally agree. I do think the retina display makes reading on an iPad great - especially for PDFs, but think this iPad mini will be as blurry as an iPhone 3.

LCD + Lo Res != Reading Pleasure.
I just can't go back to the non-Retina display. When I read on my iPad 2, I want to barf. Sorry.
kas23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:05 PM   #256
Neodym
macrumors 6502a

As i'm seemingly not the only one talking slightly off topic...

Could some native speaker comment on the performance on stage? To me Cook tried to copy Steve Jobs (e.g. by speaking slowly, pronouncing certain syllables, choosing similar words), but did not show the true passion that drove SJ. To me Cook wasn't authentic.

Similarly Phil Schiller: Not as exact a copy (less intense pronounciation, but similar wording and trying to copy the style doing some jokes and the such), but still far from the Original - only difference to Cook was imho that Schiller was too fast.

Neither managed to actually change presentation speed or show the true passion that seemed to drive SJ on stage.

I had the impression as if they watched some old shows/keynotes and now were trying to get back some of the enthusiasm of former years. It fits the picture that they offered a live stream and chose the bigger, yet more "stylish" location.

The presentation did not convince me at all - and the audience also seemed noticably quiet to me.

Not convinced really that they're on the right track...
Neodym is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:06 PM   #257
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giganova View Post
However, you will hold a smaller 7.9" display automatically closer to your eyes
Why? So do you hold your iPhone right up to your face? Strap your wristwatch to your eyeball?
LagunaSol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:06 PM   #258
dmelgar
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimdows View Post
Come on! Of course it is technically possible. It's not like we are talking about populating Kepler-B by Christmas now is it?

It just means it would have bumped the price too much to be competitive with the Nexus's of this world.
Would not have been useful nor practical. Would cost more than ipad 2.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:06 PM   #259
Clive At Five
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMNB1tch View Post
piece of junk and dead on arrival

kids will still want iPod Touch in bright colors

business folks still want big screen iPads

some housewives will want iPad minis

dads are stuck with a non touch non optical iMac ... boring

where are the MAC PROs !?!?!

What are Mac Pros?
Clive At Five is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:06 PM   #260
nickn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger11 View Post
Yet everyone was pointing out, it wasn't going to happen. Shrinking the iPad 3 display 30% in the last six months and be able to reproduce a 2048x1536 at the 7.9" at a cost effective rate is not going to happen that quickly.
Of course not, but Apple certainly should have done something else. Do you really think it is good that the iPhone 5 has a higher resolution screen than the Mini?
nickn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:06 PM   #261
neuropsychguy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc4rf4c3 View Post
The amount of sheeps in this thread calling the iPad Mini amazing is just pathetic. Stop drinking the Apple koolaid.
Why? What if we like Apple's Kool-Aid? What's wrong with sheep? Is the iPad Mini not amazing? What's not amazing about it? What would satisfy your definition of amazing?

It's worlds better than most computers from 10 years ago (probably even 6 years ago) and it fits into a pocket - all for $330 (plus tax). How is that not amazing? You could benefit from a little perspective. If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you don't think it's amazing, then don't buy it. If you don't see the point of the iPad Mini, don't buy it. Meanwhile, it'll sell like crazy.
neuropsychguy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:07 PM   #262
Judas1
macrumors 6502a

The resolution of this thing is so outdated. We all know that this not retina resolution is going to eventually be gone anyway, why not sooner rather than later? Makes me fearful of buying this thing only to see the next update end up with a retina display.
Judas1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:07 PM   #263
MHB1984
macrumors newbie

Thumbs down Not interested

Why is apple so greedy. $329 price tag for a small tablet with no retina display and no huge advantages over comparing models!? They introduced the iPad mini to compete with mini android tablets starting at $229 ?! Good luck with that....
MHB1984 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:07 PM   #264
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmelgar View Post
Can't get something for nothing.

Amazon is selling the kindle fire at cost to push you to buy other stuff from amazon. It's a loss leader.
They cut every corner they could. Forced advertising. Not even a power adapter nor volume controls are included. And certainly no camera.

Apple announces a premium device as expected. Bigger display. Retina display would have been ipad 3 resolution in smaller screen. Not worth it and would be very expensive.
First, people have disputed that the fire is cost or a loss. And while the advertising is lame, getting it without is $214, still much much cheaper. The missing charger is annoying, but at $10, it's up to $224, still over a hundred bucks cheaper.
Second, it does have a camera (just one instead of two, but I've never used the second on my iPad 2). And external volume control buttons.
Third, while the mini has a bigger display, the kindle has higher resolution and ppi. It's arguable that a device with lower resolution isn't "premium".

Nobody ever asked for something for nothing. I said $249 or $279, and at that latter price they'd still be making a healthy profit.
milo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:08 PM   #265
garoto
macrumors newbie

Are you living someone else's life ArchAndroid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAndroid View Post
For the inevitable people who are going to bitch about Retina display, if they had put it in the mini, what would be the unique selling point of the normal sized iPad?

It's not like the 13 vs 15 rMBP where the 13 has a lower res retina, Apple is locked into 1024x768 or 2048x1536.

Everything's amazing and nobody's happy.

Apple: "It's 20% thinner!
It's more than 50% lighter!"

iTroll: "But I want my Retina display ".

It's amazing how suddenly you can't live without something you only knew existed a few months ago.

ArchAndroid: Watching too much Conan / Louis C.K.? No self-will? Trapped on a quote that occurred two years ago?

http://vimeo.com/14975413

"Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma—which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary" - Steve Jobs Stanford Commencement Address 2005

Also, Steve said that once you use a retina display, you just can't go back. And it's true, but... Apple is going back, why?
garoto is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:08 PM   #266
Rasta4i
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMOTotal View Post
Then don't buy it and go for a cheaper tablet.
US prices don't include tax...
Rasta4i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:09 PM   #267
neuropsychguy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
I just can't go back to the non-Retina display. When I read on my iPad 2, I want to barf. Sorry.
Then take some Dramamine before you read on your iPad 2 or sell it and get rid of the source of the nausea altogether. No one is forcing you to read on that poor, old iPad 2 with its terrible screen.
neuropsychguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:09 PM   #268
mixern
macrumors newbie

Smile

"7-inch tablets are dead on arrival" - Steve Jobs, October 2010.
mixern is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:09 PM   #269
Giganova
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
Why?
Because the device is smaller and you inevitably want the display to fill as much of your vision as possible.

You naturally sit closer to a smaller tv compared to a big one. It's human nature.
Giganova is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:10 PM   #270
garoto
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixern View Post
"7-inch tablets are dead on arrival" - Steve Jobs, October 2010.
This one is 7.9", do you know how close that is to 8", and how far it is from 7"?
garoto is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:10 PM   #271
trip1ex
macrumors 68000

Lots of new products just in time for xmas. Sweet.

Gotta love the aggressiveness of the iPad 4 announcement. I put off getting an iPad 3 because it had the same cpu as the iPad 2 and it got thicker and heavier and took longer to charge.

Mini, new Imacs, new MacMinis, 13" Retina, ....

That was a lot of new updates.
trip1ex is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:11 PM   #272
daneoni
macrumors G4

Not interested. Should've priced at $249 or even $199. $329 is just outright greedy gouging. Thanks...but no thanks.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:11 PM   #273
Tingler

You know what, I have no issues with the specs. They are just about what I expected. They are good specs for a first generation device like this.

What I have a problem with is the price. Apple, I am sorry, but this is not worth $330. It just isn't. Even at $300 it would have been expensive but at $330? I don't know. I am not sure I'll be getting one, at least not now.
Tingler is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:11 PM   #274
toshibauser
macrumors member

Price is way higher than expected

The price was expected as 249, and Apple announced that the official price is 329 today. At this price, iPad Mini is not competitive in the market, and not attractive for current iPad user. Since I have iPad 2, I am not going to get it. I don't see the reason for getting one.
toshibauser is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:12 PM   #275
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdick View Post
Ok lets see
No retina
no Siri
329$ Hmmmmm
Microcenter iPad 2 349$
No Siri? Way to spread misinformation.