Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:41 PM   #1
Mhotep
macrumors member

Anyone else thinking of using an iPad Mini as a giant Phablet?

Don't know why the idea hit during the presentation, but I'm thinking of using the min as a phablet.
Mhotep is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:42 PM   #2
adztaylor
Banned

Send a message via MSN to adztaylor
No, because to be a "phablet" it needs to be a phone which it ain't.
adztaylor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Jinzen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhotep View Post
Don't know why the idea hit during the presentation, but I'm thinking of using the min as a phablet.
I do use Talkatone on my iPad to make calls with Google Voice for free during the day time, but there is no way it could replace a real phone because it can not RECEIVE phone calls.
Jinzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:48 PM   #4
F123D
macrumors 68040

The Note II is a giant phablet. iPad mini seems to be an overpriced smaller iPad 2.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:49 PM   #5
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinzen View Post
I do use Talkatone on my iPad to make calls with Google Voice for free during the day time, but there is no way it could replace a real phone because it can not RECEIVE phone calls.
I can receive calls using Talkatone on my iPad.
You must be holding it wrong!
knucklehead is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:20 PM   #6
Jinzen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
I can receive calls using Talkatone on my iPad.
You must be holding it wrong!
I stand corrected, there is a setting Google Voice you need to enable (Forward calls to Google Talk).

So it would seem it's useable as a phone device afterall, depending solely on LTE data and Google Voice to be reliable.
Jinzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:42 PM   #7
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I stand corrected, there is a setting Google Voice you need to enable (Forward calls to Google Talk).

So it would seem it's useable as a phone device afterall, depending solely on LTE data and Google Voice to be reliable.
Yeah - It takes a bit of fiddling to get it all to work right, but it's a pretty amazing service once it's set up. (of course, you now have google listening in on all your conversations .... )
knucklehead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:06 PM   #8
lulla01
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to lulla01
note 2

It does remind me of the Note II a little.
lulla01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:41 PM   #9
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adztaylor View Post
No, because to be a "phablet" it needs to be a phone which it ain't.
You can buy apps these days that'll make it a phone
Myiphone7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:52 PM   #10
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

Quote:
This bothers me too:
You also understand that Google Voice is call enhancement service which may not provide emergency (911) calling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myiphone7 View Post
You can buy apps these days that'll make it a phone
Do any of them handle 911 properly?
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:22 PM   #11
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
This bothers me too:
You also understand that Google Voice is call enhancement service which may not provide emergency (911) calling.

Do any of them handle 911 properly?
GoogleVoice requires an existing phone # to work. In my case, I use the # from my t-Moblile Pay as you Go plan. I have a $50 dumbphone that I pay about $50 A YEAR for service for. That fits in a pocket easily -- and yes, I have made 911 calls from that phone.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:29 PM   #12
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
GoogleVoice requires an existing phone # to work. In my case, I use the # from my t-Moblile Pay as you Go plan. I have a $50 dumbphone that I pay about $50 A YEAR for service for. That fits in a pocket easily -- and yes, I have made 911 calls from that phone.
I admit I am a bit lost here. Why would someone want to use an iPad Mini as a phone if they also have to carry a real phone. Why not use the real phone?
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:47 PM   #13
onthecouchagain
Banned

B-b-b-but I thought it was paramount that my phone can be used one handed??? :O
onthecouchagain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:59 PM   #14
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
I admit I am a bit lost here. Why would someone want to use an iPad Mini as a phone if they also have to carry a real phone. Why not use the real phone?
The iPad with cellular data is the "smart" part of the phone combo ... with a much bigger display tan a smartphone.

Using Talkatone/GoogleVoice pretty much all the time is what keeps my annual phone bill under $50.

I pretty much forget i even have a cellphone except for situations where I might need emergency services -- say, I stick it in my pocket if I'm going mountain biking in a remote area -- or stick it in my dashboard if I'm on a road trip.

Of course, emergencies being what they are, you never know when they might happen, and there's nothing more foolproof than just having to press 911. But even if I'm only with my iPad, I can pretty quickly go to any number of apps and look up things like the closest police department, and make a call with Talkatone. You're still not really cut off from help even if you don't have the cellphone with you.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:01 PM   #15
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Even if it had phone capabilities... no I never want a phablet.
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 05:15 PM   #16
Ike17055
macrumors newbie

It's a phone, and a good one

I put Talkatone on it, and actually upgraded to the "premium" status ( 20 bucks a year). It works perfectly. I generally hold it just like doing FaceTime. No issues. It's far better for my aging eyes than a smartphone. The fact I save a bundle doesn't hurt either. I carry one device as a result. Ipad mini is pretty remarkable device and this makes it even better. Now, I don't spend all day on calls like some people so that makes a difference I am sure. But I highly recommend trying it if you think you'd be comfortable with using a mini tablet as phone. I am truly surprised at how well this has worked out. Other apps include Line 2 and Magic Jack. The former costs considerably more but has its supporters. I actually keep magicJack app on the ipad as a backup and have used it successfully as well, but it elicits some comments about the strange caller number that shows up on caller ID! Plus it is really difficult to call a magicJack number apparently. Using talkatone , you have a "real" number from your own area code, and your call will be treated more like a standard number, so it eases some of the sideshow issues. My signal is great with cellular and when on wifi is better than I ever had with standard cellular. Clear as a bell. The only caution is Sometimes it takes a second ( or two, or three, or four) to really establish a good connection and your first word or so can be lost. This only happens occasionally to me, but enough to warrant attention.

----------

The talkatone app is also very good with SMS. Nice interface. A lot easier to text on tablet than phone. It is a well built app. It has made the mini as first class communications device.
Ike17055 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 05:41 PM   #17
Virginaustralia
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
B-b-b-but I thought it was paramount that my phone can be used one handed??? :O
iPad mini can be held with one hand, it'd just be awkward making calls on it and thats why apple didnt make it a 'phablet' (what idiot came up with that name )
Old Jul 13, 2013, 07:35 PM   #18
Monkt
macrumors newbie

The ipad mini is my phone replacement.
Monkt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:28 PM   #19
skiltrip
macrumors 68020

In general, from what's known about network speed, which would serve a voip solution better, AT&T or Verizon? My understanding is that in my area in NY, Verizon provides better coverage, but AT&T has higher peak network speeds.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 03:27 AM   #20
bursthead
macrumors 6502

It depends on your area. For myself Verizon offers the fastest and consistent data speeds in Los Angeles.

I used to make alot of calls using Line 2 and talkatone. Verizon was the only carrier I was able to use.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 03:49 AM   #21
LostSoul80
macrumors 68000

If you get decent connection speeds and have a trusty headset, why not. If you can afford to carry it without having to resort on specific backpacks or similar, go for it. Most people can't and opt for a portable device, but most doesn't mean you too.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:25 AM   #22
Harmonious Zen
macrumors regular

If it weren't for the fact that it can ONLY take VOIP calls, then I might actually consider it.
Harmonious Zen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:55 AM   #23
Ike17055
macrumors newbie

Works for any caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonious Zen View Post
If it weren't for the fact that it can ONLY take VOIP calls, then I might actually consider it.
Since it works off of google voice number, anyone can call it. They don't have to be on a VoIP app or system. That is why I chose talkatone over over voice apps. No one even knows it is an app. I just give people the number for my "mobile" instead of giving the standard "cell number". They don't know, or need to know it comes to my ipad Mini. I haven't used the Bluetooth headset option but I understand some people have. I just keep it on speaker. If needed, it is still small enough to use in "dork mode" ( holding it up directly to your ear) with the volume set lower, but since I use it on a more limited scale I just hold it generally in front of me using three fingers behind it with the pinky underneath to support it. (Either in landscape or portrait mode) The mini is so light, that is perfectly fine for a good amount of time. This actually is convenient in allowing me to check calendar while talking or any other screen for that matter. I switch to two hands or change hands as needed. The mini is versatile that way.

Like I said, I am really surprised at how well this works for me, but not everyone will be equally pleased with this arrangement.
Ike17055 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:09 PM   #24
Ike17055
macrumors newbie

Holding it

Just as good to hold it with four fingers behind with the right lower corner resting on the fat edge of your palm opposite the thumb. This also allows you to scroll with the thumb of same hand, or to use the finger if the opposite hand. My hands are not pArticularly large and I find it pretty easy to use the mini one handed this way. Thumb typing while holding two hands works very well for texting. Not to mention that Siri lets you dictate a text or email -- handy when driving, if you find you absolutely have to do that.
Ike17055 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 02:39 PM   #25
dingdongbubble
macrumors 6502a

I was thinking of doing it. Carrying an old BlackBerry for its legendary all day battery and excellent quick typing, instant messaging and email. And then an LTE iPad mini in my bag pack connected to a Bluetooth headset which I can quickly put on when I get a call. This could especially work with Skype's online number and because FaceTime will have audio only support.
dingdongbubble is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad