Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonproject

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2010
The previous line of iMacs had a base model that came with a 500GB, 7200 RPM drive. The new line of iMacs has a base model that comes with a 1TB, 5400 RPM drive. What a bummer. This is all according to the 'tech specs' page on the Apple Store website.

In addition, it appears that the "fusion drive" isn't standard on any of them and will be an upgrade.

Any speculation on how much you think this upgrade will be? Given the slow speed of the base model's HDD, you pretty much have to upgrade that thing if you want to utilize all the new performance (and eventual benefits that come with a maximum of 16GB of RAM).

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
The previous line of iMacs had a base model that came with a 500GB, 7200 RPM drive. The new line of iMacs has a base model that comes with a 1TB, 5400 RPM drive. What a bummer. This is all according to the 'tech specs' page on the Apple Store website.

In addition, it appears that the "fusion drive" isn't standard on any of them and will be an upgrade.

Any speculation on how much you think this upgrade will be? Given the slow speed of the base model's HDD, you pretty much have to upgrade that thing if you want to utilize all the new performance (and eventual benefits that come with a maximum of 16GB of RAM).
I thought Fusion was included in the base model, seemed that's what Schiller said guess not. If I get a 1TB HDD base model and upgrade the ram from 8-16 I won't notice a difference?

jonproject

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2010
I thought Fusion was included in the base model, seemed that's what Schiller said guess not. If I get a 1TB HDD base model and upgrade the ram from 8-16 I won't notice a difference?
At 5400 RPMs, you likely won't see much of a performance boost between 8 and 16 GBs or ram. The bottleneck here is with the HDD. If the os and applications are running off of solid state (like they would in fusion), you are going to see a significant performance boost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.